[comp.sys.atari.st] Some questions on WordPerfect

fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.ca (Eric S Fraga) (04/02/89)

A couple of short questions:

- How usable is WP without a hard disc?  i.e. how big is WP and
all the files needed at run time?

- Does WP generate Postscript output?  I tend to print all my
documents on Postscript printers at work instead of on my Gemini
10x.

- Does the ST version of WP understand ms-dos created WP files?

Reasons for questions:

My girlfriend uses WP at work (on an AT compatible) for all her
documents and we were thinking of getting an AT compatible for
home this fall so that she could use WP at home.  However, for
that amount of money, I could easily buy a hard disc drive and WP
for the ST, if her files could be transfered to the ST and used
there.

------

By the way, with respect to the Atarian topic...

I bought my 520ST in Sept 85 for a couple of reasons:
- the monochrome monitor was the first I had seen on any computer
that didn't give me a headache after an hour's use (and I tend to
use my computer for many hours every day) -- I am very
susceptible to flicker.
- it came with lots (relative to the market at that time) of memory.
- used the 68000 which, IMHO, is tons better than any intel cr*p.
- bit-mapped graphics.

I did not buy it because of GEM or the mouse.  I wanted a good
cheap terminal that I could hack at once in a while.

I am still happy with it, after almost 4 years, but wouldn't mind
a slightly faster computer sometime soon, like maybe the TT, if
and when it comes out.

Then again, what I would really like would be a lap-top, 68030
based, 2 meg Ram, solid-state >= 2meg hard disc, trackball fitted
computer running Minix.  I still use my Model 100 (Tandy) but the
wee screen is starting to get on my nerves...  However, most of
the laptops out there (other than the NEC Ultralite) weigh a ton
due to the floppies and/or hard discs.  And they are all (well,
almost) ms-dos machines.

----

Well, I've rambled on enough (only wanted to ask a couple of
questions) already.

cheers,
  eric

PS - To those people at Atari that take the time to answer
questions from this net, please ignore the flames from some of
the people -- there are a few of us that appreciate your answers.
Thanks!
|Eric S Fraga, Department of Computer Science, University of British Columbia|
|phone: +1 604 228 4907, fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.ca | fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.cdn|

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (04/03/89)

In article <1579@ubc-cs.UUCP> fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.ca (Eric S Fraga) writes:
>To those people at Atari that take the time to answer
>questions from this net, please ignore the flames from some of
>the people -- there are a few of us that appreciate your answers.
>Thanks!

Yes, I second that!
I really like it when Atari sort out our problems or set the record straight.
Looking at the feature list for TOS 1.4, they obviously listen to our gripes
and desires too.

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (04/04/89)

A few questions were asked about WordPerfect.  Since I'm stupid and
don't know how to add others messages into my own, I'll answer what I
remember.

First off, WordPerfect is not protected, so you can put the 6 SS disks
onto 3 DS disks.  If you put the master and speller on one disk, then
you're all set.  After setting up your printer list (which is a real
pain if you only have one floppy---constant swapping), this will be the
only disk you will use.  I haven't touched the other two disks in
months.

As for PostScript, WordPerfect supports different laser printers.
However, I don't think it supports PostScript (yet).  The latest version
was mostly a re-write of the entire printer code.  I'll check the README
file that came on the new disk and see what it says.

=cf=

c60c-3ds@e260-3c.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/05/89)

In article <1579@ubc-cs.UUCP> fraga@tennents.cs.ubc.ca (Eric S Fraga) writes:
>- How usable is WP without a hard disc?  i.e. how big is WP and
>all the files needed at run time?
Sort of.  I use a 400K RAM disk on a 1040, and copy the main program and
associated startup files to it.  There's space for the help program if you
need it.  This leaves you with only enough memory for two windows though.
And there is no speller (I do this only when I know I will not revise any
more) and thesausrus, but these can be run from a floppy
	Optimally, I would copy the thesaurus to the ramdisk, and run
WP from a floppy, but I like to run other programs during a work session,
and WP (like many other commercial programs) has no shell escape feature.

>- Does WP generate Postscript output?  I tend to print all my
>documents on Postscript printers at work instead of on my Gemini
>10x.
Yes.  There are drivers for the Apple Laserwriter.  I think there are also
drivers for some QMS printers as well.  But you can use only Times or
Helvetica, so if you want another font, you have to hack the PS code.
I just implied that you can save the PS output to disk didn't I?  You
can also send output to the serial port and the MIDI(!?!) port.

>- Does the ST version of WP understand ms-dos created WP files?
I think it does...

                  John Kawakami    c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu
        "Oh it's a good feeling, to know your alive..."  - Fred Rogers