[comp.sys.atari.st] Significance of ANTIC in Atari parlance.

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (03/30/89)

From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)

	In the 8-bit computers, the ANTIC chip is the proccessor
responsible for feeding the display chip all the info about the screen. It
was a true microproccesor in the fact that it even had instructions to do
things that were in memory. That was one of the nicest features of the
8-bits. It's a pity that some other similar custom hardware doesn't appear
for the ST, or some other vendor's computer. (I mean a computer that costs
less that $1000 now.)

Eric Hopper (Omnifarious) Don't try to send to emh@omni.uucp, because omni
is completely unkown to any system except stag.
omni!emh@stag.UUCP  or  ....{rosevax, ems, umn-cs}!pwcs!stag!omni!emh
/*****************************************************************************/
/* All opinions presented here are the result of my enviroment, or heredity. */
/* If you don't like them you only have yourselves or my parents to blame.   */
/*****************************************************************************/
                       \**************************/ /)
     __                 \* "I went insane to    */ //
    / ')                 \* preserve my sanity */ //  __.  __  o ____. . _
   /  / ______  ____  o   \* for later."      */_//__(_/|_/ (_<_(_) (_/_/_)_
  (__/ / / / <_/ / <_<_    \*  Ford Prefect  */ />
                            \****************/ </
 /****************************************************************************/

bw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bryan Wu) (04/05/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.atari.st: 29-Mar-89 Re: Significance of ANTIC*
> *i.. to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (1446)*
> things that were in memory. That was one of the nicest features of the
> 8-bits. It's a pity that some other similar custom hardware doesn't appear
> for the ST, or some other vendor's computer. (I mean a computer that costs
> less that $1000 now.)
Actually.. there is a similar graphics chip in a computer .. The Amiga.. Yup,
that's right - This is probably because the guy who designed the 800 computer
went to design the Amiga computer (when it was funded by Atari).. well, anyway,
I hear that they have display lists and dli's and so on..  Oh well.. :)

here's a bit of trivia:
Sometimes the chips in Atari's stuff was named after secretaries who worked
there:
Amy - the sound chip (what ever happened to it?)
Tia - ?
Maria - in the 7800 game system
etc..

-Bryan Wu