[comp.sys.atari.st] Silent HardDrive? / WordUp vs WRITE

lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) (04/06/89)

   I have a Supra 20 Meg which has never failed me, but I'm getting a little
annoyed by the noise it makes.  Can anyone tell me which hard-drive out
there is the quietest?  Atari's Megafile, Supra's, ICD's, Astra's, etc. ???

   Also i'm thinking of purchasing either MS WRITE or Neocepts' WordUp.
I know that both uses GDOS, but is the output (on a dot-matrix) on one
better than the other.  I saw the output of WRITE (in graphics mode)
a long time ago, and it looked quite bad - overly bold and jaggies if
using large point-sizes.  Thanks in advance.

---Lean
--
if you can dream it, you can do it ...  		 CSNET:lean@sbcs.csnet
... go sleep			      		     ARPA:lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (04/06/89)

In article <2502@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) writes:

>   I have a Supra 20 Meg which has never failed me, but I'm getting a little
>annoyed by the noise it makes.  Can anyone tell me which hard-drive out
>there is the quietest?  Atari's Megafile, Supra's, ICD's, Astra's, etc. ???

My Supra 30 Meg drive developed a very annoying noise after about a
year of use.  I called Supra customer support, described the problem,
and was told that my problem was probably due to the spindle brush and
that I should place a piece of tape over the brush.  They then
described over the phone how to disassemble enough of the drive to get
at the brush.  I carried out their instructions and the noise
disappeared and the drive is again relatively quiet.  Total time to
carry out this procedure: under 15 minutes.  I suggest that you call
them to see if your problem is similar.

I will add my praise to Supra's customer support---they're super!
Please keep up the good work.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

rjung@sal38.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (04/06/89)

In article <2502@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>   Also i'm thinking of purchasing either MS WRITE or Neocepts' WordUp.
>I know that both uses GDOS, but is the output (on a dot-matrix) on one
>better than the other.

  There is no known difference (at least to me) on the output quality.

>  I saw the output of WRITE (in graphics mode)
>a long time ago, and it looked quite bad - overly bold and jaggies if
>using large point-sizes.

  That's because MWrite allows you to "double" an existing GDOS font to get
a larger point size. For instance, if you only have Dutch (Serif/Times Roman)
point 12 installed, MWrite would give you access to 12 point (regular, smooth
looking) and 24 point (jagged, blocky). WordUp, on the other hand, will only
give you 12 points. It ensures everything looks nicer, but then you'll have to
dedicate more RAM for holding larger point sizes.

  Considering that WordUp costs only $80 (MWrite, bewfore rebates, is $130)
and offers 90% of MWrite's features with a few more of its own, I always
recommend WordUp over MWrite. (But then I've pretty much become infamous on
this point  B-)

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)