[comp.sys.atari.st] Laser C versions

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (03/31/89)

What is the latest version of Laser C?  I have seen some people
mentioning ver 2.0 of Laser C.  Is that ver 2.0 of Megamax C, which
was renamed to Laser C Ver 1.0, or there is indeed another upgrade
coming out after the release of Laser C ver 1.0?  However, I don't
see any mentioning of Laser C v 2 in Megamax's ads.

Any info is appreciated.

rohde@enif.cis.ohio-state.edu (joseph t rohde) (03/31/89)

In article <1358@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>What is the latest version of Laser C?  I have seen some people
>mentioning ver 2.0 of Laser C.  Is that ver 2.0 of Megamax C, which
>was renamed to Laser C Ver 1.0, or there is indeed another upgrade
>coming out after the release of Laser C ver 1.0?  However, I don't
>see any mentioning of Laser C v 2 in Megamax's ads.

Yes I have laser C 2.0
It contains several bug fixes and compatability with LDB the source
debugger which has also been released.  (Nice debugger, mouse driven
with seperate screen for the program running)

-----------------------------------
rohde@cis.ohio-state.edu
joe@eng.ohio-state.edu

-=-
-----------------------------------
rohde@cis.ohio-state.edu
joe@eng.ohio-state.edu

champagn@hpspkla.HP.COM (Robert R. Champagne) (04/01/89)

About a month ago, after hearing the same rumor, I called Megamax. There
is indeed an upgrade for LASER C. I was told to send the serial numbers
from my disks along with an update fee to Megamax. I can't remember what
the update fee was for _just_ LASER C, BUT for $49.95 (+ $3.00 S&H) you
get the upgrade AND the new source-level debugger! Not sure if this offer
is still valid though...

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (04/07/89)

From: omni!emh@stag.UUCP (Eric Hopper)

	Laser C 2.0 is an upgrade from Laser C 1.0. The main things
they add are some minor bug fixes, a print feature, and support for
their source-level debugger LaserDB.

	Laser C 1.0 was an upgrade from Megamax C. It is an integrated
enviroment mildly reminiscent of Turbo C, but a lot better.

	It has a dynamic RAM cache that automatically flushes cache
buffers if the currently running program asks for more memory.

	The enviroment also includes a stdio window that only works for
program output. The stdio window also doubles as a command line
interpreter.

	The library format has been altered from the megamax format. It
now uses standard DRI library format, with an extra added file at the
beginning so it can easily tell what .o files contain particular global
sysmbols.

	If you use Dlibs, be careful. The initargs routine from Dlibs
doesn't work because it tries to grab the program name by looking into
the parents stack for the last Pexec call. Laser C does NOT appreciate
this at all, and will immeadiately give you an exception two. Oh, yes.
The Laser C shell traps exceptions.

	It has many more features, and it would require to much room to
explain them all, but I like the compiler.

Have fun,

Eric Hopper (Omnifarious) Don't try to send to emh@omni.uucp, because omni
is completely unkown to any system except stag.
omni!emh@stag.UUCP  or  ....{rosevax, ems, umn-cs}!pwcs!stag!omni!emh
/*****************************************************************************/
/* All opinions presented here are the result of my enviroment, or heredity. */
/* If you don't like them you only have yourselves or my parents to blame.   */
     __                 \* "I went insane to    */ //
    / ')                 \* preserve my sanity */ //  __.  __  o ____. . _