Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 18:31:30 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #72
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 10, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 72

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                           Hard Drive Kits
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                   Fun With Your Hard Drive Project
                Messenger Plus software for Magic Sac
      form_dial() (was Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows))
                         Discovery questions?
                              FTP sites
                           Debugger/Monitor
                                Re: lc
                    Re: Fleet Street Publisher 2.0
                        Virus 101 - Chapter 1

Date: 1 Mar 89 16:09:18 GMT
From: nyser!cmx!wotan!gjwelych@cunyvm.cuny.edu  (Greg Welych)
Subject: Hard Drive Kits
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Hi there. I just purchased a Sheagate ST4096 80Meg full height hard drive,
and would like to know which hard dive kits are the best?

I have various questions about the kits:

1)   Which kits support full height dives?
2)   Which interface hardware is the best?
3)   Which softare best supports an 80Meg drive? How many partitions are
     allowed? Auto-bootable? Whats the maximum size of a partition? Is
     it compatible with Minix or other OSs?
4)   How large is the case? Does the fan make alot of noise?
5)   Which Adaptec interface is the best for a MFM drive?
6)   Which kit is the fastest? Which is the easist to put together?
7)   What are the prices?

Please Email me directly. If anybody wants me to summarize, send me
Email.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Greg Welych.

gjwelych@top.cis.syr.edu
#! rnews

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 89 15:14:57 GMT
From: biar!trebor@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (Robert J Woodhead)
Subject: Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1154@lzfme.att.com> jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
>Most virus detecting programs work by intercepting writes to the
>hard disk and by checksumming programs before running them. A small
>change in a virus is not going to  make it invisible to this type of
>checking.

Correct (sort of) but misleading.  Virus detecting inits such as Vaccine
work by intercepting certain resource manager calls.  Unfortunately, they
can get in the way.  Checksumming programs is fine, but it involves adding
checksums to each application or storing them in a central file; each is
vulnerable to viral action.  Viruses can be reprogrammed to avoid these.

Additionally, when you talk about detect and REPAIR programs, small changes
in viruses will make them invisible and/or unrepairable until the program
is updated.  This is because none of these programs want to take a chance of
"repairing" an uninfected version of "Whiz-bang-space-aliens v1.2" just
because it looks sort of like it is infected by a virus.  We are extremely
specific in our check criteria in order to avoid this unfortunate consequence.

| Robert J Woodhead      !uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37 |
| Biar Games, Inc., 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850  607-257-1708,3864(fax) |
| Games written, Viruses killed   "I'm the head honcho of this here spread; |
| While U Wait.  Take a number.    I don't need no stinking disclaimers!!!" |

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 89 04:18:13 GMT

**** Rest omitted - too long!

FTP@ukc.ac.UK (UKC FTP Daemon) (03/13/89)

Your mail to uk.co.stc.idec failed when the file was transferred.
The mail at this host was to be sent to the follow addresses.

    stuser%uucp.cel@uk.co.stc.idec

This was due to an error at uk.co.stc.idec.
The reason given was:

   File access denied

The body of your mail follows.

Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 18:30:32 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #69
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 10, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 69

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

              Re: STs, QLs and the great emulation game.
                       Re: Zoo/ST status update
              Re: VGA, EGA, CGA: what is the difference?
               Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows)
                Good ST software and hardware for sale
             Re: Removeable hard disk drive for Atari ST
                         Re: alternative mice
                                 get
                                 get
                               Re: help
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                     Problems with new DCFORMAT.
                           PD dictionaries
                             Hard Drives
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line

Date: 27 Feb 89 13:24:36 GMT
From: mcvax!nikhefh!n62@uunet.uu.net  (Klamer Schutte)
Subject: Re: STs, QLs and the great emulation game.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <3528@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <171@ucl-cs.UUCP>, S.Usher@ucl-cs.UUCP writes:
>> 	Full multitasking
>
>Note that the operating system on the QL is Tripos, which is what Commodore

The operating system of the QL is QDOS, not Tripos.

To return to the article: I think porting software from a QL to an Amiga ( or
vice versa ) is about as difficult as porting software from UNIX to a QL :
Not to simple. The problem is that QDOS is a quite odd operating system; it
has calls which can do the job but with different calls then you should expect.
e.g. a stty() call on a window is not existent; one should use another call to
read in "raw" and "cooked" mode ( no cbreak; signals doesn't exist on a QL ).
Another major problem is the lack of any environment variables on the QL.
Klamer Schutte			mcvax!nikhefh!n62	      n62@nikhefh.hep.nl

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 89 10:13:14 GMT
From: mcvax!unido!laura!trillian.irb!klute@uunet.uu.net  (Rainer Klute)
Subject: Re: Zoo/ST status update
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <107625@neabbs.UUCP> daanjj@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN JITTA) writes:
>Finally, it's nice to remark that about 2 days after I uploaded a beta
>version of Zoo/ST to some Dutch BBSes, somebody started writing a graphical
>shell, much like the very popular ARCSH graphical shell for ARC. When this
>program is fully developed, it will be posted to comp.binaries.atari.st as
>well. Give "ZOOBOY" a few more weeks...

As the author of ARCGSH I'd like to state that I plan to
integrate a mechanism for calling ZOO from ARCGSH.
Unfortunately I haven't much time currently to do so but some
day it *will* come.

I just received the shar/unshar package in the sources group.
If it works reliably I will also support it with ARCGSH.  (Ok,
the name "ARCGSH" may be a little bit confusing after those
extensions.)

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

------------------------------

Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 18:30:53 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #70
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 10, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 70

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                           Re: STs Do Exist
                    ST Monitor Port specification
                                Re: lc
                                Re: lc
                          Re: Degas and GDOS
             Beta Test Opportunity for Astronomy Program
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                   Re: More on Spectre 128 Problems
                             nullfilling
                          Re: MUSIC software
                                Re: lc
                                Re: uw
                         Broken ST revisited

Date: 28 Feb 89 21:19:29 GMT
From: bgsuvax!sbrown@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Scott F. Brown)
Subject: Re: STs Do Exist
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <890226201240.281042@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM>, Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
> Every so often someone posts to the net saying that they cannot find any
> STs.  I would just like to post some info.  about ST availability here
> in Phoenix AZ.  I just came from my ST dealer, and he had about ten Mega
> 4s, five mega 2s, and four or so 1040s.  Buy the way he was selling his
> Mega fours for $1900 (ram prices must be falling!).

	Ah, finding Ataris can be a difficult experience, however, I have had
a pleasant surprise recently.  Our campus is packed wall to wall with Macs, PCs
and PSIIs.  A rather sickening sight to Atarians.  However, this past week I
discovered a room at the health center.  It appears that the health center uses
STs.  In a full count, it was about a dozen 1040s, 3 or 4 megas, a laser
printer, and an image scanner.  It was a nice sight.

							- Scott F. Brown

sbrown@andy.bgsu.edu
	If you want to clean your disk drive, take a piece of sandpaper and
make it the size of a standard disk, insert into drive and turn on computer.
Works almost as good as Comet :=)

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 89 17:07:55 EST
From:         Marcelino Bernardo <MBERNAR%ERENJ.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      ST Monitor Port specification
To:           INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

     I am still interested in using a multisync monitor for the ST.  Would
someone please either give me the specifications for the monochrome and
color video output of the ST or refer me to a good source (books, articles
etc.) for this information?
     Please send replies to me directly, since the DIGEST takes a long time
to get here.

Thanks,
Marcelino Bernardo       BITNET:  MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 28 Feb 89 16:57:45 GMT
From: mailrus!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!watmath!watcgl!watmum!ljdickey@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Lee Dickey)
Subject: Re: lc
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <300@laas.laas.fr> someone who shall remain nameless

>It seems that your `lc' is non-standard with respect to System V;
>that's where it came from.

Perhaps someone who knows more about this will comment.

I have used "lc" since the early 70's,
When was System V introduced?

Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 18:31:13 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #71
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 10, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 71

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                                  uw
                              ARC sites
                      Dungeon Master Maze Editor
                          Re: MUSIC software
               Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows)
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                      Fleet Street Publisher 2.0
                           Re: FTP problems
                           Uniterm Question
                              ZMAGAZINE
                            Mice problems
                               problems
                           software wanted
               Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows)
                       Apple 64K ROMS for sale.

Date: 1 Mar 89 00:51:29 GMT
From: cunixc!willi@columbia.edu  (Gary A Williams)
Subject: uw
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Has anyone out there had any success running the version of uw from the
umich ARC site?  I can't seem to get it to work.  Thanks.

willi

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 89 00:49:44 GMT
From: cunixc!willi@columbia.edu  (Gary A Williams)
Subject: ARC sites
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Could somebody please send me a list of ARC sites available for anonymous
FTPing?  The only one I've been able to use so far is 35.1.1.43 and it is
updated very slowly.  Send responses to cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu rather
than bore all those out there who are already in the know.  Thanks.

willi

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 89 02:45:26 GMT
From: mailrus!wasatch!cs.utexas.edu!sm.unisys.com!csun!polyslo!jriegel@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Jeff Riegel)
Subject: Dungeon Master Maze Editor
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

   Has anyone heard about a maze editor that can be used with Dungeon Master?
A local store here says they can special-order it, but I've never heard of
it before and I'm not sure if it really exists.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff Riegel
jriegel@polyslo.calpoly.edu

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 89 15:38:00 GMT
From: inmet!ishmael!inmet!rm@bbn.com
Subject: Re: MUSIC software
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I am also a fond user of C-Lab Notator.  Does everything indicated in
the base note, and is amazingly bug-free.  My only real complaint with
it is that it has a really confused (and combined) notion of triplets
and dotted notes.  Oh, you can get it to do what you want, but it
takes a little getting used to.  All in all though, a great program.
      _________       __      __
     / ______  /     /  \    /  \            R.M. Mottola
    / /_____/ /     / /\ \  / /\ \           Intermetrics Inc.
   / /  _____/     / /  \ \/ /  \ \          733 Concord Ave.
  / / \ \         / /    \__/    \ \         Cambridge MA. 02138
 / /   \ \   _   / /              \ \   _
/_/     \_\ /_/ /_/                \_\ /_/   UUCP: uunet!inmet!rm

Date: Fri 10 Mar 89 18:31:48 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #73
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 10, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 73

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                   Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                          Re: ST Hard Drives
                      GULAM with german keyboard
                                Re: lc
                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                                Hebrew
                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
               Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows)
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                  CompuClub and Atari repair policy
                             Dictionaries
                   Re: International ST SW Catalog?
                           Re: STs Do Exist
             Re: Removeable hard disk drive for Atari ST
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                    Re: Dungeon Master Maze Editor

Date: 1 Mar 89 17:36:23 GMT
From: att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!druhi!terrell@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Eric R. Terrell)
Subject: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have a question about the Atari ST screen-dump (which can be invoked
by typing ALT & HELP at the same time.

My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
printers?  If so, which ones (and how can it tell what kind of printer
is connected)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

------------------------------

Date: 1 Mar 89 16:15:46 GMT
From: att!mtuxo!mtgzz!drutx!druwy!dlm@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Dan Moore)
Subject: Re: ST Hard Drives
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

in article <2173@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) says:
> We have just bought two more 1040ST computers complete with SM124
> monitors and Megafile 30 hard disks.  The odd thing is that the new
> computers only boot a new hard drive from power up but not an old SH204.
> Performing a coldboot will then boot up an SH204.

	Atari has started buying DMA chips from a new supplier.  The new
DMA chips are not compatible with some older DMA host adpaters.  So some
older third party hard drives and Atari SH204s won't work with the new
STs.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM
				dlm@druhi.ATT.COM

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 02 Mar 89 11:43:24 CET
From:         G38%DHDURZ1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject:      GULAM with german keyboard
To:           INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Where can I get a version of GULAM which respects the german keyboard?

Peter Stede
University of Heidelberg, West-Germany

Bitnet: G38@DHDURZ1

Date: Sat 11 Mar 89 12:08:07 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #74
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 74

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                    Desktop.inf formatting info???
                          Re: Script Editor
                          Re: Mice problems
                          RE: Script Editor
                        Request for ARC on VAX
                 NeoDesk / GEM replacements question
               NOAA-METEOR receiver project part 3 of 3

Date: 2 Mar 89 17:08:36 GMT
From: nunki.usc.edu!sal61.usc.edu!rjung@oberon.usc.edu  (Robert allen Jung)
Subject: Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <1396@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> johnnyd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Johnny D) writes:
>In article <3958@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.UUCP (TerrellE) writes:
>|My question is this:  Does this screen dump work with non EPSON compatible
>|printers?
>
>    The screen dump works fine on my Panasonic 1091i, although I only get
>3/4 of the screen since it's an 80 column printer.  As far as I know,
>the screen dump should work with any IBM compatible dot matrix printer.

  Not necessarily, since the Panasonic 1091 is Epson compatable (at least mine
is).

  And by the way, the reason you're getting 3/4ths of the screen is probably
not due to 80 columns, but because the ST thinks you have 1250 dots across.
Try using the Control Panel to "Set Printer" to 960 dots, and see if that
improves the situation.

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 89 20:06:01 GMT
From: polyslo!sstanfie@oberon.usc.edu  (skot)
Subject: Desktop.inf formatting info???
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I have heard that modem programs such as emulator.acc from atari store the
modem information (eg. baud rate, etc) in the desktop.inf file.  I am
writing a term program;  anybody have that information?

Thanks.
--
                              ___________________
------------------------------      /|/ ---      ---------------------------

------------------------------

From: "K.J. CONWAY" <35002_3025%uwovax.uwo.ca@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 21:48:44 EDT
Subject: Re: Script Editor

using wordprfect you could use to columns if you had prepared the text before ha
nd... or better yet use two windows.
/
Kevin-john Conway
...a librarian from hell...

University of Western Ontario
London Canada
"...deviants from the norm..."

"My ideas may be silly, but I'm not.  I'm positively skewed!"

Date: Sat 11 Mar 89 12:09:58 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #78
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 78

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                   Hard Disk Partitioning Tutorial
                 atariST TOS gcc V1.34 avail for FTP
                Atari 1040 ST, modem, printer for sale
                         Zoo compression prg
                                 SEDT
                       Bulliten Board Systems.
                      Leaving both monitors on.
                   RE: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #43
                               Re: SEDT
                      Adaptec controller boards
                             Atari 520ST

Date: 6 Mar 89 14:30:18 GMT
From: att!lzaz!hcj@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (HC Johnson)
Subject: Hard Disk Partitioning Tutorial
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

This is meant to be a tutorial on partitioning a hard disk connected
to an Atari ST computer.  It will address TOS, Minix, PC-Ditto, and
Spectre 128 usage.

There is considerable mysticism about the partitioning hard disks for
the Atari.  It isn't as complicated as it may appear.

OVERVIEW

A hard disk is just a collection of sectors, numbered 0 to MAX, where
MAX is the total good sectors on a given hard disk.  Within most of the
disk interfaces is an Adaptec 4000 controller.  When told which sectors
are bad this device automatically squeezes them out, leaving MAX-N good
sectors.

Rule one:  Always subtract a reasonably small (128) number from the total
size of the disk to allow for this shrinkage.

PARTITIONS

Partitioning is just a way of thinking of the whole disk in parts.  It
occures in UNIX and MS-DOS because the original files systems could not
exceed numbers which were small compared to the total disk.  The most
current limit is TOS, which cannot handle a file system larger than
16 megabytes (32767 sectors of 512 bytes each).

Sector 0 of the hard disk holds three kinds of information.  Within a
total of 512 bytes there exists:  First, an area reserved for a boot program.
Second,  sixteen bytes to describe the physical parameters of the disk; and
ten bytes to support bad sectoring.  Third, an array of four partitions.
Each entry in this array describe the partitions storage area on the disk.

This is the 'C' description of a partion:

/*
 * Partition information (part of sector 0)
 */
struct pi {
  char	pi_flag;		/* active byte */
  char	pi_id[3];		/* partition id (GEM or MIX(?)) */
  long	pi_start;		/* first sector */
  long	pi_size;		/* total number of sectors */
};

If a partition is allocated, the flag is set to '1', and the  size is set
to the actual size of the partition is sectors.  Usually both the flag and
size will be 0 when a partition is unused.  Start is the actual physical
sector of the hard disk where this partition begins.  Within the partition
we talk of logical sector numbers from 0 to size -1. Additionally the
partition may have a name (ID) to descibe who might expect to use it.

It is not uncommon to find several different names in the partitions, to
indicate that each different name is organized logically different from
the other.
Some examples of this:
A. TOS and PC-Ditto can process partions containing MS-DOS file systems.
   They use the ID 'GEM' to indicate this.  When they boot, only the 'GEM'
   partitions are given ICONs on the desktop.  Intervening partitions of
   other types are ignored.  Thus the First GEM partition is called C:,
   the Second GEM partition is called D:, etc.

Date: Sat 11 Mar 89 12:09:29 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #77
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 77

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                       Re: OSS Personal Pascal
                             Re: Ethernet
                            Re: ARC sites
                                Re: lc
                            Re: ARC sites
                   SPEED CONTROL FOR FLOPPY DRIVES
                       MouseTrap for the Megas
                      RE: ST Conversion to a MAC
                              SICK MICE
               STWriter printer driver needed FAST!!!!
                                Re: lc
        cartridge port problems on mega st2 (boardrevision 5)
             Re: Atari ST mouse: is there an alternative?
          Anyone coming to Cebit in Hannover (W. Germany) ?

Date: 5 Mar 89 22:01:56 GMT
From: sdcc6!sdcc10!cs163afu@ucsd.edu  (Some call me...Tim)
Subject: Re: OSS Personal Pascal
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4499@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugmuldoo@sunybcs.UUCP (Thomas Muldoon) writes:
>  First does Personal have a random number generator?

The easiest way to get a random number is with the XBIOS random
function.

FUNCTION Random : Long_Integer ;
XBIOS(17) ;

This returns a 24 bit random number.

> Second how do you clear the screen in Personal??

I usually use an escape sequence to do this.

write(chr(27),'E') ;   { ESCAPE 'E' -- CAPITAL E -- clears the screen }

This information comes out of Atari ST Internals from Abacus
Software, but there is apparently another book available that is a
lot better organized, though the name escapes me...I can find it if
there's any interest.

-----------
Tim Mensch                		Disclaimer:  No one is responsible
EMAIL : tmensch@ucsd.edu    			     for what I say.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 89 17:22:33 GMT
From: brunix!rjd@uunet.uu.net  (Rob Demillo)
Subject: Re: Ethernet
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4481@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugbernie@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bernard Bediako) writes:

>	Are there any Ethernet controllers out for the ST?
>I've wondering if it will be possible to port the Ethernet control (Amoeba)
>to MINIX-ST and cross mount a sun's hard disk to MINIX's filesystem?
>						bernie

According to the April '89 issue of STart, FutureDOS (a Canadian company)
will soon be releasing an Ethernet controller board
called TAXI (The Atari eXtended Interface) for the 520s, 1040s and
Megas. (The 520s and 1040s communicate thru the DMA port, while the
Mega uses the internal bus.)

For further info:
	FutureDOS R&D
	1207-120 Torresdale Ave
	North York, Ontario
	M2R 3N7
	(416) 736-0321

The price of the boards is expected to be in the $1K-$2K range.

Date: Sat 11 Mar 89 12:08:26 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #75
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 75

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

             1Mb RAM upgrade boards with 256kx4bit chips
                            Crippled mice
                          Re: Degas and GDOS
                         Quick Directory Size
                        Adding A Floppy Drive
                      MWC Rsconf() return value?
                         World of Atari show
            Other than Atari monochrome monitor on the ST?
       Re: Right of reply, virus- public, private- a thin line
                      need address Kevin Houser
                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                               Ethernet
                                Re: lc
               Re: Who have I clobbered? (GEM windows)

Date: 1 Mar 89 13:03:27 GMT
From: mcvax!ukc!stl!stc!datlog!grigw@uunet.uu.net  ( Warwick Grigg )
Subject: 1Mb RAM upgrade boards with 256kx4bit chips
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I would like to upgrade my 520ST (new model) to 1Mb RAM. My ST contains
a bank of 4 256kx4bit RAM chips (NEC part number D424256C-10) with space
for 4 more. It looks as if the decoupling capacitors are already there.
Does anyone know how to do the upgrade? Is it just a case of
putting in the new chips ? (In sockets of course). Please mail replies
and I'll summarise. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Warwick

------------------------------

Date: 3  Mar 89 11:09 -0100
From: "Ivan D. Reid" <ivan%rzsin.sin.ch@RELAY.CS.NET>
To:  Info-Atari16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Crippled mice

	I was interested in the messages last week about mice "dying", because
one of our rodents started exhibiting the same behaviour (only moving horizon-
tally & not vertically) the day before.  The messages suggested to me that the
cause is the loss of pulses on one of the four outputs (two for each axis), and
blocking the light-path to one of the phototransistors on the good axis
duplicated the behaviour on this channel too.

	A little bit of investigation showed that each phototransistor is
connected between +5V and a resistor to ground; the signal developed across the
resistor is then fed to one section of an LM339 quad-comparator.  The reference
for the comparator was 0.20V, and the output should switch between 0 and 5V as
the input passes through 0.2V.  A multimeter showed that one signal from the
faulty axis was only just coming up to 0.2 while the other three were reaching
up to 0.3 to 0.4.  Obviously the circuit characteristics had changed enough
with time that the output pulses were no longer being reliably generated.  The
quick fix was just to increase the sensing resistor from 470 to 820 ohms, since
for small signals the phototransistor should develop a given current flow;
passing this through a higher resistance gives a proportionately higher
voltage.

	I hope this info might be of use to anyone with a dying mouse and a
little bit of electronics equipment (hint: SolderWick or a SolderPuller are
highly recommended when unsoldering the resistor, as the circuit board is
easily damaged).

		idr

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 89 18:01:16 GMT
From: uw-entropy!dataio!pilchuck!ssc!fyl@june.cs.washington.edu  (Phil Hughes)
Subject: Re: Degas and GDOS
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <4208@mtuxo.att.com>, rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) writes:
> If you have access to Genie, there is a program called DJ_DEGAS.TTP
> in the ST Software Libraries RT.

While we are on the subject, anyone seen the source code for any

Date: Sat 11 Mar 89 12:08:55 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #76
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Saturday, March 11, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 76

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                      Re: Adding A Floppy Drive
                         Re: Debugger/Monitor
                  missing files from poplib archive
                      mouse problems in London!
                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                         OSS Personal Pascal
                               ST COBOL
                 Re: Atari ST Screen Dump Info Sought
                Re: CompuClub and Atari repair policy
               Re: NeoDesk / GEM replacements question
               Re: NeoDesk / GEM replacements question

Date: 4 Mar 89 06:49:36 GMT
From: hermes!jpexg@BLOOM-BEACON.MIT.EDU  (John Purbrick)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> ... for the Atari Laser Printer (SLM804) there's a screen dumper that
> steals the Alt-Help and outputs the correct data over the DMA to print
> to the laser printer...
> --Kenneth Soohoo	(soohoo@cory.Berkeley.Edu)

How does a program do this? Presumably terminate-and-stay-resident, but how
does it intercept keypresses?

A couple of years ago Moshe Braner (where's he gone?) posted a program which
did this but it shoved the screen into a reserved area of memory he called the
"barrel"; then you could dump the barrel to a Degas file. I'd like to try
writing a program which instead created a .TNY format screen file every time
alt-help was hit.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 89 07:02:59 GMT
From: mcdchg!chinet!saj@gatech.edu  (Stephen Jacobs)
Subject: Re: Adding A Floppy Drive
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <9148@mhuxu.UUCP>, cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience using the ST/PC Drive Cable from E. Arthur
> Brown Co.?  This cable supposedly allows you to hook up any IBM compatible
> 3.5" or 5.25" floppy drive to the ST.  Is this something that I can easily
> make myself?  Can I run the second drive off of my existing power supply
> somehow?  Any comments appreciated.

Very much in the same vein: I just got a NEC Multispeed MS-DOS laptop (used--
mostly for use as a second terminal to do debugging on the ST).  It has a funny
connector on the back, and there is a claim that it can pretend to be
external floppy drives on a desktop MS-DOS machine.  Can the same thing be
arranged with an ST?  Believe me, it would be the steal of the century if that
portable could pretend to be a pair of double sided drives for my ST.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Mar 89 15:21:10 GMT
From: brunix!rjd@uunet.uu.net  (Rob Demillo)
Subject: Re: Debugger/Monitor
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <8751@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jriegel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jeff Riegel) writes:

>   Can anyone recommend a good PD assembly language debugger or monitor?
>I have Laser C but its in-line assembly code is difficult to debug.
>
>-Jeff Riegel          jriegel@polyslo.calpoly.edu

If you have Laser C, you should seriously consider getting the
upgrade to the newst version, and then get the Laser C Source
Debugger. It's an excelllent debugging tool, and it works flawlessly
in the Laser C environment. (It also works well from Gulam)

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

**** Rest omitted - too long!

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (03/21/89)

Please stop the following broadcasts to the Internet:

In article <8903130125.AA19885@mcvax.cwi.nl>, FTP@ukc.ac.UK (UKC FTP Daemon) writes:
| Your mail to uk.co.stc.idec failed when the file was transferred.
| The mail at this host was to be sent to the follow addresses.
|
|     stuser%uucp.cel@uk.co.stc.idec
|
| This was due to an error at uk.co.stc.idec.
| The reason given was:
|
|    File access denied

I've already received a dozen!!  ARRGH!!
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

FTP@ukc.ac.UK (UKC FTP Daemon) (04/03/89)

Date: Fri 31 Mar 89 16:28:02 PST
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #119
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Friday, March 31, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 119

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        SLIP for the Atari ST
                               uudecode
               Need Songs for Shareware MIDI Sequencer
                          Source for doodle.
                           Re: micromix.ii
                          Memory Prices !!!
                        1040ST memory upgrades
                                 030
                     Regent Base II - a real 4GL?
                          Modula-2 on the ST

Date: 27 Mar 89 17:46:54 GMT
From: xanth!cs.odu.edu!scott@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: SLIP for the Atari ST
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Is anyone familiar with a TCPIP / SLIP implimentation for the Atari ST?

I have a version for my magic sac, but I would prefer to run an Atari version.

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 89 17:15:13 GMT
From: dartvax!eleazar.dartmouth.edu!dav@bu-cs.bu.edu  (William David Haas)
Subject: uudecode
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I grabbed the metafont arc files from the binary group when they were posted
and I am having trouble de-arcing them.  The metafont arc is broken into
6 pieces of less then 32 K.  At the end of the files is the statement
'include metafont.uuX'.  I have tried uudecode on unix and on the atari.
I have tried it on the files seperately and I even cat'ed the files
together and tried it.  I created one big file and removed all the non
uudecode statements and tried that.

What is the correct procedure to uudecode a set of files that are in parts?
I have a mailbox containing the readnews arc/uudecode messages.  What do
I do next?

ALso, I am in a rush to get metafont working.  Anyone out there have a place I
can ftp the .arc file from?

And finally, while I have your attention, anyone have source to a program
that will dearc the .arc files from him1 on  a unix machine?  I have a
unix machine with the .arc files I ftp'ed but some are over 720K.  My unix
can write dos floppies so if I get the files under 720 K I don't have to
kermit them to my atari... I can DOSxfer them.
                                                                 _
"Shadow, do something!  Those flying       Morpheous            / \
 birds are going to get us!"               Psimon              / _ \
                                           shadow master      / //\ \
"O.k., o.k., I'll cast                      Dav El II        / // \\ \
 Transmute Roc to mud."                                     / /____\\ \
                                           We are the      /________\\ \
                                           warrior spirit. \__________\/

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 89 18:52:09 GMT
From: jensen@cod.nosc.mil  (Layne K. Jensen)
Subject: Need Songs for Shareware MIDI Sequencer
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In my quest to begin learning about MIDI, etc., I ran across a shareware
sequencer on the him1 (35.1.1.43) archive, named midiseq.arc.  It was
written by Geoff Waddington of Scarborough, Ontario.  There is essentially
no documentation in the archive, and it has taken me awhile to learn how
to do even the basics.  Does anyone have any experience with this program,
and if so, does any documentation exist?  Would you mind writing a short
description of its capabilities and how to use them?  There was no network
address for Mr. Waddington.  Is he on the net?

Also, are there any archived songs for this program?  There were some song
files on him1, but they appear to be for Music Studio, and when I tried to
load them, the program crashed.  Is there any standard file format for

**** Rest omitted - too long!

FTP@ukc.ac.UK (UKC FTP Daemon) (04/07/89)

Date: Wed 5 Apr 89 15:38:38 PDT
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #142
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, April  5, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 142

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                       May I overwrite basepage
                           Re: Advertising
                     Re: TOS bugs. Disk related.
                       Re: Atari Explorer & TT
                        Re: ARC Shell 2.05  ??
                       Re: Mail order question
                       Re: Atari Explorer & TT
                       Re: Atari Explorer & TT
         Re: Pexec Cookbook, and pseudolegal system calls...
                 Re: I want to buy a new computer!t(
                        The meaning of 'Atari'
              Index to volume3 of comp.binaries.atari.st
                              Re: TEMPUS
                Re: GEMDOS Extended Argument Standard

Date: 3 Apr 89 22:49:56 GMT
From: mailrus!shadooby!accuvax.nwu.edu!tank!shamash!nic.MR.NET!eta!com50!pwcs!stag!daemon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Subject: May I overwrite basepage
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

From: BROOKS%csss-a.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET

Sometimes I write very small stay-resident programs and, instead of
allocating 2K of bss for an stack (and then only using 250 bytes) I set
up the stack to overrun my startup code and wander down into the
basepage.

Does anyone know: Will this cause any problems?  Does TOS need anything
in the basepage one I've started executing -- providing I don't Pexec
anything?  Of course, I'd better not go *below* the basepage...

David Brooks   Internet:       BROOKS@CSSS-A.PRIME.COM
               uucp:           {mit-eddie,uunet}!csss-a.prime.com!brooks

Signature on file.           Standard disclaimer applies as appropriate.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 89 23:32:20 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
Subject: Re: Advertising
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In article <6360@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> abc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Alan B. Chan) writes:
> I heard the ad
> say that the SLM804 was PostScript compatible?
> Is Ultrascript that compatible
> that you could print postscript files on the Atari Laser?

Yes.  I got a vanilla PostScript file from far away (Gene Spafford at GA
Tech, maybe) and printed it fine.

	Mega + Ultrascript + SLM804 = Postscript printer
					("...plus a whole lot more.")

You can even write a driver which would take input from the serial or
parallel port and print it on the laser, put the whole works in one box,
and call it a dedicated Postscript laser printer!  No monitor required!

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 89 23:26:12 GMT
From: imagen!atari!apratt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Allan Pratt)
Subject: Re: TOS bugs. Disk related.
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

Date: Wed 5 Apr 89 15:38:19 PDT
Subject: Info-Atari16 Digest V89 #141
From: Info-Atari16 Digest <Info-Atari16@edu.stanford.score>
To: Info-Atari16 Distribution List: ;
Sender: info-atari16-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

Info-Atari16 Digest   Wednesday, April  5, 1989   Volume 89 : Issue 141

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

            Re: Problem with TOS recognizing media changes
  Re: Some questions on WordPerfect (was Re: WordPerfect ST status)
                         Uniterm "e" problem?
              GIFSPC / IFFSPC / sun color raster SPC???
                      Re: SLIP for the Atari ST
                 Laser C Scrolls (was Re: Finally...)
                         Atari Midi Software
                       Re: News from CeBIT '89
                            Re: Finally...
                     TINY file conversion program

Date: 3 Apr 89 20:10:49 GMT
From: rochester!rit!ultb!clf3678@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (C.L. Freemesser)
Subject: Re: Problem with TOS recognizing media changes
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

The drive you have in your Mega is one of the new Sony drives Atari
started using after the Chinon problem.  It can't format more than 80
tracks because of its design, not a problem with the drive itself.

I've also seen the Epson SMD-480 mech in there.  I believe that Sony
makes the drive for Epson, so don't be surprised if you open the
computer and find Epson's name all over the drive.

=cf=

BTW, the Sony drive is a workhorse, and you shouldn't have any problems
with it for a LONG time!

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 89 20:01:36 GMT
From: rochester!rit!ultb!clf3678@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (C.L. Freemesser)
Subject: Re: Some questions on WordPerfect (was Re: WordPerfect ST status)
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

A few questions were asked about WordPerfect.  Since I'm stupid and
don't know how to add others messages into my own, I'll answer what I
remember.

First off, WordPerfect is not protected, so you can put the 6 SS disks
onto 3 DS disks.  If you put the master and speller on one disk, then
you're all set.  After setting up your printer list (which is a real
pain if you only have one floppy---constant swapping), this will be the
only disk you will use.  I haven't touched the other two disks in
months.

As for PostScript, WordPerfect supports different laser printers.
However, I don't think it supports PostScript (yet).  The latest version
was mostly a re-write of the entire printer code.  I'll check the README
file that came on the new disk and see what it says.

=cf=

------------------------------

Date: 3 Apr 89 17:35:48 GMT
From: ns!logajan@umn-cs.arpa  (John Logajan)
Subject: Uniterm "e" problem?
To: info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I just downloaded the "e" version of Uniterm and I noticed that it won't
let me "cancel" a call by hitting a key.  Rather, it instantly redials.

They only way out of the loop is to reboot the system.  What am I doing
wrong???

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / logajan@ns.network.com / john@logajan.mn.org -