[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMDOS Pexec extensions

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (03/29/89)

In article <512@TSfR.UUCP> orc@pell.UUCP (David L. Parsons) writes:
> If you're planning to do enhancements to TOS for extended argument passing,
> perhaps it's time to consider the basepage & additional gemdos traps for
> extended argument pexecing?  I don't like corrupting the environment with
                    ^^^^^^^^
> argument stuff*, because of the transient nature of arguments.  When you
> start diddling with the environment, you end up with having to make both

on the subject of Pexecing, what are the chances of future versions of
GEMDOS being able to do a fifth style of Pexec:

pass down to Pexec the address of a basepage to fill and the address where
it should load a program. this is a feature i would like to see for things
like desk accessories. it would be nice if a desk accessory could reserve
say 32K for future Pexecs, and when the accessory is loaded, it could load
an overlay program into this reserve buffer at will. (of course these overlay
programs are really part of the desk accessory itself, just not memory
resident at all times). this way, a desk accessory that would normally
take up 200K of valuable memory, could now load it's individual sections
when they are needed into this reserved buffer.

i dunno, but this sounds like a pretty good idea to me!!			;-)

--
Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

"Those who can't, criticize" (author unknown)
"ain't it ironic that according to Rushton, Suzuki is right!"

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (04/07/89)

(i posted this article a couple of weeks ago, but i haven't got any
response from anyone yet, so i'll try again.)

In article <512@TSfR.UUCP> orc@pell.UUCP (David L. Parsons) writes:
> If you're planning to do enhancements to TOS for extended argument passing,
> perhaps it's time to consider the basepage & additional gemdos traps for
> extended argument pexecing?  I don't like corrupting the environment with
                    ^^^^^^^^

on the subject of Pexecing, what are the chances of future versions of
GEMDOS being able to do a fifth style of Pexec:

pass down to Pexec the address of a basepage to fill and the address where
it should load a program. this is a feature i would like to see for things
like desk accessories. it would be nice if a desk accessory could reserve
say 32K for future Pexecs, and when the accessory is loaded, it could load
an overlay program into this reserve buffer at will. (of course these overlay
programs are really part of the desk accessory itself, just not memory
resident at all times). this way, a desk accessory that would normally
take up 200K of valuable memory, could now load it's individual sections
when they are needed into this reserved buffer.

this could be an addition to the extended pexec proposed by David
Beckemeyer proposed [ie: Pexec (10, ...] i don't know how this would affect
any multitasking plans atari has for tos, if those rumours are even true!?!.

i dunno, but this sounds like a pretty good idea to me!!			;-)
(everyone nod your heads...)		:-)