[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS enhancements

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/03/89)

In article <1423@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>  Don't do illegal stuff with your software, please.  We are no longer
>constrained to strict software compatibility in future TOS revisions,
>and I, for one, intend to take advantage of that fact.  This means that
>I will be implementing enhancements which will almost certainly break
>software that either a) didn't follow the rules in the first place, or
>b) was built on bad assumptions about the internal workings of TOS.

This sounds very interesting and raises some questions what
could be meant with those "enhancements":

- A clean Malloc?
- Multitasking?
- UNIX functionality :-)?
- Cray compatibility :-)?

Please shed some more light on the plans you have!

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (04/07/89)

In article <1255@laura.UUCP> klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
|This sounds very interesting and raises some questions what
|could be meant with those "enhancements":

|- A clean Malloc?
|- Multitasking?
|- UNIX functionality :-)?
|- Cray compatibility :-)?

|Please shed some more light on the plans you have!

  Unfortunately, I can't discuss the OS changes that we're making until
they're releaseable.  Sorry!
--
 Ken Badertscher                 | #include <disclaimer>
 Atari R&D                       | No pith, just a path:

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (04/08/89)

In article <1439@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>  Unfortunately, I can't discuss the OS changes that we're making until
>they're releaseable.  Sorry!

This seems like a bad policy for Atari to adopt.  How can you know
what the community wants or what the implications of proposed OS
changes might be if you don't discuss them before implementing them?
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (04/08/89)

In article <56208@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) writes:
>In article <1439@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>>  Unfortunately, I can't discuss the OS changes that we're making until
>>they're releaseable.  Sorry!
>
>This seems like a bad policy for Atari to adopt.  How can you know
>what the community wants or what the implications of proposed OS
>changes might be if you don't discuss them before implementing them?

Now there's some logic for you...
But...
No one ever said
Building computers
Was a democratic art...

Seems like Atari could benefit from the
      countless wizards on the net....

I am not being fascist .... i mean, facetious...

-kevin

maverick@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Steve Whitney) (04/08/89)

#
# This seems like a bad policy for Atari to adopt.  How can you know
# what the community wants or what the implications of proposed OS
# changes might be if you don't discuss them before implementing them?
#
# Now there's some logic for you... But... No one ever said Building computers
# Was a democratic art...

Imagine what would happen if Atari announced that they were working on a
new multitasking version of TOS with 32 windows, built-in GDOS with outline
fonts, and unlimited desk accessories...
The count down would start that day.  Two months later people would be
complaining that it had been two months and still no TOS 2.0... and so on.
We've all seen it.  I know that I for one don't like it.  The policy of
keeping quiet until you _know_ that things will really materialize and you
at least have an estimate of how long it will be seems like a good one to me.

# I am not being fascist .... i mean, facetious...
#
# -kevin

--
       Steve Whitney         Internet:   maverick@portia.stanford.edu
                             UUCP:      ..!decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!maverick