[comp.sys.atari.st] Silent HardDrive? Supras...

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/07/89)

Here is one way to quiet a Supra drive:

Be sure you are in a static free environment.  Take your shoes off!
Open the Supra, you will see a controller board and the adaptor board
screwed onto the top of the HD mech like a sandwich.  Unscrew the
two boards and carefully remove the cables.  There will also be a white
card on top of the drive mech.  Remove the white card and you will be
looking at the top of the drive with the circuit board staring at
you.  In the middle of the board will be a copper tab and a hole to
the top of the drive inner metal case.  Put a piece of sticky tape on
the tab and press it down firmly but gently.  (By sticky tape I mean the
thick white stuff you use to hang posters and cork boards), put everything
back together carefully and your drive should be much quieter!  What you
have done is made sure that the static discharge tab is touching the
spinning drive case and discharging the static like its supposed to.

I have found that this is the case of most of Supra's HD noise
problems.  Before diving into this make sure that th fan isn't the
problem though, place your ear close to the fan to see if its the
culprit.

Please note that I take responsibility for any damage done in preforming
this operation and that opening the case will void your warranty!!
You have been warned!  This is really just removing and replacing
screws and boards, but Murphy's Law can always strike - be sure to
back up the drive before doing any of this fancy stuff.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (04/08/89)

In article <16776@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> Here is one way to quiet a Supra drive:
>
> Be sure you are in a static free environment.  Take your shoes off!
> Open the Supra, you will see a controller board and the adaptor board
> Please note that I take responsibility for any damage done in preforming
> this operation and that opening the case will void your warranty!!

Ted, If you take responsibility for any damage, please post your address.
I'm sure, that as Murphy said, "something is bound to fail".

Perhaps you meant to 'not take responsibility'?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/09/89)

Actually it was my goal to have thousands of people send me their
noisy Supra's and set-up a small mail order business <grin>.
I did follow up the post with a correction, thanks Howard!

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com
Pro-Choice, Anti-Zealot