[comp.sys.atari.st] Blinking Light..

elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (03/31/89)

I assume that the flast and very faint blinking of the drive lights
must be the media change check?
I have noticed this flashing on all my st's and at first thought it was a bug
in the hardware..
Am I right in assuming that this is a media change check each time the light
flashes?
(Watch your drive light closely and YOU will see it blinking too..)

edwin@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (04/02/89)

	In article <3035@m2-net.UUCP>, elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) writes:

	> I assume that the flast and very faint blinking of the drive lights
	> must be the media change check?
Yep, you're right about that !

					--[ Edwin ]--

--
Edwin Kremer, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (04/06/89)

---

sort of in the same vein, i have a slight annoyance with drive light.

i have written a routine to play digital samples thru the speaker (who
hasn't?) which uses a lineA variable to check the mouse button status
to find out when to quit playing the sample. only trouble is the drive
lite comes on and off intermittantly (mega 4, tos 1.2). if i recall, it
set SR to $2700 (disable interrupts). it doesn't seem to cause any
problems but i'm sure users are going to question it. i know i can always
do a Dfree or faster op to clear it, but was just wondering what was
going on. the sound chip also controls something with the floppies so i
save and restore some register to make sure things are cool. maybee i need
a delay before i restore? this only started happening when i started tracking
the mouse button state (button up, stop).

thanx...

-bill rosenkranz
rosenkra%boston@hall.cray.com

derrick@ritcsh.UUCP (Derrick Williams) (04/09/89)

 A while ago someone wrote about the flickering of the Atari drives.
I have noticed this, also. Since I've hardware hacked my ST to add things
like a Clock chip and a keyboard enchancement, I was wondering if I had
somehow caused the drive go flakey. It works fine, and I'm releived to hear
that this is normal.

                                                     Derrick

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (04/09/89)

From article <1495@hall.cray.com>, by rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz):

> .. play digital samples thru the speaker ...
> only trouble is the drive
> lite comes on and off intermittantly ...

If you set reg 7 of the sound chip, you better not change the bits 6 & 7.
They set port A resp. B to input or output.

      kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
UUCP: kloppen@gmdzi