[comp.sys.atari.st] the meaning of 'atari'

"chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM (04/04/89)

A trivium from this month's 'ST World':

"The word 'Atari' is shouted in the ancient oriental game called 'Go' to
indicate victory."

Just think of all the other possibilities that they must have rejected
before picking this one.

Regards,

Chaz

schewani@cod.NOSC.MIL (Brian K. Schewanick) (04/04/89)

And I thought 'Atari' stood for "I got you!". Refering to an
addiction as in video games.

rjung@sal22.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (04/04/89)

In article <890404-063300-6253@Xerox> "chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:
>A trivium from this month's 'ST World':
>
>"The word 'Atari' is shouted in the ancient oriental game called 'Go' to
>indicate victory."

  That's an old story, and not even complete. The whole story goes like this:

  Nolan Bushnell, founder of the _original_ Atari (you know, before Warner and
Jack and the Sears Tele-games system), needed a name for his new company. He
wanted something exotic and unique, and tossed out lots of ideas even wilder
than Atari.

  He eventually fell on the word "Atari" because of the Japanese game of Go.
In Go, the player says "Atari" when he is in a position to almost completely
conquer his opponent; The Western analogy is "check" in chess.

  It gets stranger. If you will recall, Nolan Bushnell started up a new
arcade game company about 5 years ago, called Sente (now part of Bally games,
guess it didn't do so hot  B-). What does "Sente" mean? "Checkmate".

>Just think of all the other possibilities that they must have rejected
>before picking this one.

  Ya gotta admit, that Fuji logo looks neat. (The most popular rumor is that
the logo is a stylized "A", with some symbolism for the game of Pong)

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

t68@np1.hep.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (04/05/89)

The meaning of Atari in go is like check in chess: you threaten to
conquer one or more stones and you warn your opponent that you are
doing this. This may or may not be vital (unlike in chess).
The meaning of the word sente is different from what the previous poster
said. Sente means the right to move first. If somebody comes out of a
local fight in sente he is the one who is at liberty to choose the
next confrontation. This can be a big advantage. It can determine
whether you are on the offense or on the defense (gote).

So atari tried to put some companies in `atari' (did capture one
company but that wasn't a good move after all).

Jos Vermaseren
.

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (04/06/89)

In article <3382@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@sal22.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung)
writes:
>In Go, the player says "Atari" when he is in a position to almost completely
>conquer his opponent; The Western analogy is "check" in chess.

Not quite.  Atari is used to indicate that a (group of) stone(s) can
be taken on the next move if the oponent doesn't do something.  The
appropriate analogy in chess is ``threatened''.  This is much weaker
than check, which indicates that the king is threatened, which will
end the game if no action is taken.  A (by no means the only) analogy
to check in Go would be an atari worth, say, 40 points.

>What does "Sente" mean? "Checkmate".

Wrong.  Sente (as opposed to gote) is a move that leaves you with the
intiative (ie your oponent has to react to it, and can't just wander
off on a tangent like with a gote move).

>>Just think of all the other possibilities that they must have rejected
>>before picking this one.

Like Aji Keshi?

SR

EHARNDEN@AUVM.BITNET (Eric Harnden) (04/09/89)

atari is go's equivalent of 'check' in chess. 'checkmate' is 'sente', which
was under consideration for a while as the name of the company that
nolan bushnell would use when he re-entered the pc market... which he
didn't.

Eric Harnden (Ronin)
<EHARNDEN@AUVM>
The American University Physics Dept.
(202) 885-2758

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (04/10/89)

>atari is go's equivalent of 'check' in chess. 'checkmate' is 'sente', which
[...]
>Eric Harnden (Ronin)

'Sente' is not 'Checkmate' but means 'initiative' and is used in GO to
denote who seems to be leading play. ie. the better player normally
plays white and is often be said that he has 'sente' or that he is
forcing black to respond to threats. It is possible for 'sente' to
switch back and further between players. But it does NOT mean checkmate.

- Ant
   achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu      |  "Murdered by pirates is good."
 __                    _          |    - The Princess Bride (movie)