[comp.sys.atari.st] Shells

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (04/10/89)

In article <1442@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I am really sorry Gulam is so good: it prevents me from writing a proper
>shell.  Gulam's bugs are irritating, but the bulk of it is too good to
>junk.  (Well, specifically, the code is badly unstructured and virtually
>impossible to analyze, troubleshoot, and improve.)

If you have the time Allan, write a shell.
The only good thing about the devkit COMMAND.TOS is that it lists hidden files.
If your shell is as good as Gulam, I'll be first in line for it. That and db.

Jwarr Bammi was saying a long time back that a new Gulam was in the pipeline.
I think he mentioned a 'reset' command which would save your history and reset
the machine. 'reset -c' would do a cold reset.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

On a completely different note. I am not sure I want to reclaim the last two
clusters on a floppy disk any more, using a previously described trick.
If a disks boot sector says it has 1604 sectors and the last two clusters are
marked bad then I guess the drag A to B in TOS 1.4 will still try to copy track
80, which we now all know to be a no-no.

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !