[net.wanted] Network connections

ir320@sdcc6.UUCP (ir320) (10/05/85)

Does anyone out there know of a way to allow UUCP only persons to put
mail out to an ARPA machine and for arpa users to get it back?  I am
compiling such a list and would like gateways to the following networks
and the communities they serve:

    ARPANET/MILNET BITNET, CSNET, DECNET, UUCP, MAILNET

Here is what I have found so far...

username%site.UUCP@harvard.ARPA allows arpa users to mail to UUCPland.
                                (Need site to go the other way.)
username%site.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA allows ARPers to talk to BITNETers.
                                 Several ways to get back to ARPAland.
                                 Includes talcot.ARPA and WISCVM.ARPA
...!talcot!BITNETNAME!username   Allows UUCP to talk to BITNET
                                 Note the CAPS on the bitnet site and
                                 no .BITNET
user%site.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY      ARPA -> CSNET and back with slight
                                 change (user%site.ARPA@CSNET-RELAY)

I could use DECNET and a UUCP <-> ARPA gateway.

Any ideas?

John Antypas
UC San Diego

uucp: ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320
arpa: ir320%sdcc6@sdcsvax.ARPA sdcsvax!sdcc6!ir320@Nosc.ARPA
bitnet: through the WISCVM.BITNET gateway ir320%sdcc6@sdcsvax.ARPA
csnet: ir320%sdcc6%sdcsvax.ARPA@CSNET-RELAY

mike@cadsys.UUCP (Michael Bruck) (10/10/85)

I would also be interested in finding the access path to the SERC/JANET
network in the UK.

	--Michael Bruck
	...ucbvax!hplabs!intelca!cadsys!mike

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (10/14/85)

In article <173@cadsys.UUCP> mike@cadsys.UUCP (Michael Bruck) writes:
>I would also be interested in finding the access path to the SERC/JANET
>network in the UK.

The paths are:
ARPA:	user%site@ucl-cs.arpa (ARPA -> JANET gateway)
UUCP:	user%site@ukc.uucp (UUCP -> JANET gateway)
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

jim@hwcs.UUCP (Jim Crammond) (10/20/85)

In article <173@cadsys.UUCP> mike@cadsys.UUCP (Michael Bruck) writes:
>I would also be interested in finding the access path to the SERC/JANET
>network in the UK.
>
>	--Michael Bruck
>	...ucbvax!hplabs!intelca!cadsys!mike

Since UK is now an official top level domain, you should be able to
simply mail to, for example, jim@cs.hw.ac.uk, if you are on arpanet.

If your mailer doesn't automatically route UK mail, then the two entry
points to note are:
	ARPA:  ucl-cs.arpa (= cs.ucl.ac.uk)
	UUCP:  ukc.uucp    (= ukc.ac.uk)

The UK network can be viewed as a "star network" from either of these
places.

UK has two main subdomains, "ac" (academic) and "co" (commercial).
Since JANET is an academic network, all JANET sites are under "ac.uk"

Uk UUCP sites will be integrated into this naming scheme by the beginning
of next year.
--
-Jim Crammond		JANET:	jim@uk.ac.hw.cs