[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Explorer & TT

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (03/21/89)

I don't remember seeing this mentioned anywhere, but the Jan/Feb edition
of Atari Explorer has some stuff about the TT in the 'New products'
(or something like that) part. Does this mean that Atari has actually
commited themselves to building it (and will release it's specs)?

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/22/89)

I don't know much about the Explorer article, but I do know that
Sam Tramiel himself said in a CO on GEnie last week that the new
Atari '030 machine will be out in the second half of this year.

Pete

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (03/24/89)

in article <661@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:

> I don't remember seeing this mentioned anywhere, but the Jan/Feb edition
> of Atari Explorer has some stuff about the TT in the 'New products'
> (or something like that) part. Does this mean that Atari has actually
> commited themselves to building it (and will release it's specs)?

Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
products are further along, we will not release any specifications.

-- John Townsend
   Atari Corporation

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/25/89)

In article <16096@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>Sam Tramiel himself said in a CO on GEnie last week that the new
>Atari '030 machine will be out in the second half of this year.

Isn't this post about a week early?

-scott

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (03/28/89)

In article <1397@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>in article <661@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says
 (about the TT)  :
>> (or something like that) part. Does this mean that Atari has actually
>> commited themselves to building it (and will release it's specs)?
>Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
>is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
>products are further along, we will not release any specifications.

With others words the answer is NO (matter of fact Sam Tramiel saying
that Atari is working on something normally means that it will never be a
product), this is just for the benefit of those on the net that do not
have three and a half years experience of Atari watching (and interpreting
statements from Atari).

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (03/29/89)

in article <664@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:

> In article <1397@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>>in article <661@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says
>  (about the TT)  :
>>> (or something like that) part. Does this mean that Atari has actually
>>> commited themselves to building it (and will release it's specs)?
>>Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
>>is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
>>products are further along, we will not release any specifications.
>
> With others words the answer is NO (matter of fact Sam Tramiel saying
> that Atari is working on something normally means that it will never be a
> product), this is just for the benefit of those on the net that do not
> have three and a half years experience of Atari watching (and interpreting
> statements from Atari).

Aw....come on now Simon! At Hannover earlier this month we had an 030 in
"developer" skins running a modified (but not optimized) TOS 1.4 for the
whole duration. We are VERY committed to the product. We are NOT committed
to rushing a product to market before we are satisfied that it is a solid
and reliable design and satisfies our perception of market need. Granted the
'030 system was not on the main display area (unlike ATW, "Stacy", "Folio"
etc), but nor was another enhanced product we previewed to "certain parties".
Atari has adopted a policy of not showing or formally announcing new products
until they are pretty much "Beta-ready", and the '030 is one of them - in
spite of MANY articles about it in many areas.
And for the record, the UN*X port is progressing well also for the '030.

Roy Good/Atari

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (03/30/89)

in article <664@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:

>>Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
>>is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
>>products are further along, we will not release any specifications.
>
> With others words the answer is NO (matter of fact Sam Tramiel saying
> that Atari is working on something normally means that it will never be a
> product), this is just for the benefit of those on the net that do not
> have three and a half years experience of Atari watching (and interpreting
> statements from Atari).

I would like to know how one can read *SO MUCH* into a statement stating that
we (Atari Corp.) are working on a project (in this case the TT)?  In order
for one to get the full scope of the conversation, one *MUST* look at the
entire GEnie transcript (available for download in the GEnie files area).  If
you don't, it is akin to walking into the middle of a private conversation and
interupting....

I've seen this "we're not going to believe any statement you make" feeling
for the last couple of weeks (ever since we started talking about new
products we are getting ready).  Basically the entire company is being
called a 'lier' when a new product is mentioned.

Dan/Atari Corp.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/31/89)

Actually, at the latest on-line GEnie CO with Sam Tramiel most of us
Atari bashers were amazed with the straight forward answers and just
plain openiness and frankness in which Sam addressed the CO (we had
over 90 members attending this one!)  Seems like the olde days of
Niel Harris with F1='No comment', F2='Wait until Comdex', F3='I don't
understand the question, next', etc. are gone!

[Credit for the above functions key paradoy goes to Bob Retelle]

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (04/01/89)

In article <16476@cup.portal.com>, Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
> Actually, at the latest on-line GEnie CO with Sam Tramiel most of us
> Atari bashers were amazed with the straight forward answers and just
> plain openiness and frankness in which Sam addressed the CO (we had

Peter, are you allowed to tell us the "straight forward questions

and answers"......?

What is an "Atari Explorer" ?

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (04/02/89)

Atari Explorer is a magazine for Atari computer owners/users.  It is (as
printed on the cover) 'the official Atari journal' and is officially
affiliated with Atari Corp.  (which probably explains why Atari runs a
lot of ads in it..)  (why they run ads in a magazine where 90% of the
readers probably already HAVE an Atari is beyond me).

It is interesting to note that David Ahl is the Editor In Chief..  Anyone
remember him from the now-defunct Creative Computing?  Betty Staples (also
from CC) also works for Atari Explorer..

= Albert Yarusso                  = Rochester Institute of Technology         =
= Bitnet:  ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet  = Computer Science (Don't use a Sun too     =
= Usenet:  ajy2208.ritcv.rit.edu  = long -- you might get a Sunburn).         =

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/02/89)

I believe the transcript of the GEnie CO with Sam is up in the binaries
for all to see and enjoy, <grin>.  Atari Explorer is Atari's magazine
which is put out from New Jersey and has David Ahl (remember Creative
Computing everyone?) as its editor.  Actually a pretty good magazine,
shame its only bi-monthly.  For a 'house' magazine its reviews are
very unbiased.

Peter Szymonik

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (04/02/89)

>What is an "Atari Explorer".

Atari Explorer is an Atari magazine that contains information, software
reviews, hardware reviews, etc., etc. pertaining to 8-bit Ataris, as
well as the Atari ST line.  It isn't a heavy-duty magazine, it is more a
people-oriented magazine.  By that I mean it doesn't have fifty pages of
code in it, but articles on things like the groups Tangerine Dream that
uses Atari Mega2ST's, and things like that.  (Although it does contain
some programs too...)

'Till later,
-Sylvia Jumaga...

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!sylvia.jumaga

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (04/03/89)

In article <1413@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
>in article <664@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:

>>  (about the TT)  :
>Aw....come on now Simon! At Hannover earlier this month we had an 030 in
>"developer" skins running a modified (but not optimized) TOS 1.4 for the
>whole duration. We are VERY committed to the product. We are NOT committed
>to rushing a product to market before we are satisfied that it is a solid
>and reliable design and satisfies our perception of market need. ...

This is just what I meant, not that Atari is not working on the TT, just that
it hasn't reach the point where it is very unlikely to be axed  (a lot of
people remember the infamous MS-DOS emulator that was actually shown to the
public at various exhibitons before it died a sudden death (this was before
your time if I remember correctly)), I would think that distribution of
`developer' machines marks the point where we can have some confidence in a
machine actually making it to the market (and what I would call `commited').
This is naturally not an Atari specific problem and should not be thought
of as Atari bashing (I'm just a professional sceptic :-)).

In article <1417@atari.UUCP> danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:
>in article <664@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:
>
>>>Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
>>>is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
>>>products are further along, we will not release any specifications.
>>
>> With others words the answer is NO (matter of fact Sam Tramiel saying

The original question was if Atari was commited to building the TT, not
if Atari was working on the TT, which is NOT the same thing in my eyes.

>I've seen this "we're not going to believe any statement you make" feeling
>for the last couple of weeks (ever since we started talking about new
>products we are getting ready).  Basically the entire company is being
>called a 'lier' when a new product is mentioned.

(I feel guiltless, since I've more or less refrained from Atari bashing
the last two years :-))

I don't think you can blame the public for being extremly sceptical about
announcements from a computer company and from Atari in particular. Don't
forget that the Tramiels were saying that Atari was working on the TT
three years ago (the same thing Atari is saying now). Also note, that even
with Atari HQ's new (and better) policy on product announcements, for the
average European customer the situation has not changed.

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (04/04/89)

in article <664@forty2.UUCP>, poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) says:

[my comments from a previous message..]
>>Recently in a GEnie Conference, Sam Tramiel stated that Atari Corporation
>>is working on 68030 based products (i.e. the 'TT). However, until these
>>products are further along, we will not release any specifications.
>
> With others words the answer is NO (matter of fact Sam Tramiel saying
> that Atari is working on something normally means that it will never be a
> product), this is just for the benefit of those on the net that do not
> have three and a half years experience of Atari watching (and interpreting
> statements from Atari).
>
> --
> UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
> BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

Thank you for your flames! For the rest of the net, the TT is a real product
that will make it to market. You can bet on this! (unless your name is Pete
Rose :-)

Please see my comments above concerning release of specifications.

-- John Townsend
   Atari Corporation

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (04/11/89)

In article <1425@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
[]
>Thank you for your flames! For the rest of the net, the TT is a real product
>that will make it to market. You can bet on this! (unless your name is Pete
>Rose :-)

Which flames? I was being nice....(half a :-)). There seems to be some
confusion of terms here, I never denied the fact that Atari is working
on the TT, but calling it a PRODUCT is probably a bit far fetched.