[comp.sys.atari.st] Does DeskJet Emulate EPSON FX?

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (TerrellE) (04/06/89)

Does the HP DeskJet ink-jet printer emulate an EPSON FX?  Does this
require an extra ROM cartridge?

Does the printer emulate the FX graphics mode?

Does the printer emulate the 2-pass letter quality mode?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

Harold_Hank_Hagquist@cup.portal.com (04/11/89)

You need to buy the FX cart. and then the Desk Jet will act just like a FX.

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (04/11/89)

In article <4120@druhi.ATT.COM> terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (TerrellE) writes:
>Does the HP DeskJet ink-jet printer emulate an EPSON FX?  Does this
>require an extra ROM cartridge?

It needs a ROM cartridge to do an epson emulation.  I don't know
if it does FX, MX or whatever mode.  The cartridge is around $100-125
(I think).

>Does the printer emulate the FX graphics mode?
>Does the printer emulate the 2-pass letter quality mode?
The standard graphics on the deskjet are compatible with many, but
not, all laserjet drivers.  A lot of programs are now providing deskjet
drivers.  The graphics resolution is 300 dpi and it is far better than
any mode on the Epson FX.

The standard text mode is letter quality courier 10 pitch, with the
option to switch to courier draft and increase the speed.  If you are using
good quality bond paper (fairly hard finish) the letter quality mode
is extremely difficult to distinguish from laserjet courier type.

>Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

Apparently HP is bringing out a new deskjet, which is why the deskjet prices
have dropped recently.   I have seen the original deskjet for about $625,
with a $100 HP discount if you send them an old dot matrix printer.
$525 is a great price, but I think I'd wait to see what the new deskjet
will have.

Bruce Carlson