[comp.sys.atari.st] OBDEFS.H

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (04/11/89)

From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)

A problem, and some questions, on resource files:

I've been using Bob Silliker's RSC2C.TTP program to decompose (is that the
right word?) GEM resource files into C sources. I ran into a small
incompatibility with the OBDEFS.H file I've been using.

The OBDEFS.H file is from Appendix B of "Atari ST Application
Programming," Lawrence J. Pollack and Eric J.T. Weber, Bantam Books
(ISBN-0-553-34397-1). According to the book, that file is the original
Atari Corp. definition; the header files in the book bear a 1985 Atari
Corp. copyright.

In that file, object.ob_spec is a pointer to a char.

RSC2C program produces code in which that field is either a long
hexadecimal number, a string, or the address of any of several other types
of array. If it is the former, Sozobon C refuses to compile the code,
since it is expecting a pointer. If it is the address of a non-char array,
it merely complains.

I recently acquired Mark Williams C, so I took a look at the OBDEFS.H file
that came with it. In that file, the declaration is changed to unsigned
long.

Now (finally) to my questions:

* Is the MWC alteration of ob_spec from char * to unsigned long in
  OSBIND.H appropriate? Should I alter my OSBIND.H file to unsigned long?

* Should I fix RSC2C so that it casts the field to a char pointer? I'm
  leaning toward the this alternative.

* What is Atari Corp.'s position on the distributability of the header
  files GEMDEFS.H, OBDEFS.H, etc?

/*
 * UUCP: {uunet!rosevax,amdahl!bungia,chinet,killer}!orbit!thelake!steve
 * ARPA: crash!orbit!thelake!steve@nosc.mil
 * #member <STdNET> The ST Developers Network
 */

Trevor.Kirby@newcastle.ac.uk (Trevor Kirby) (04/12/89)

In article <780@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:
>From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
>
>The OBDEFS.H file is from Appendix B of "Atari ST Application
>Programming," Lawrence J. Pollack and Eric J.T. Weber, Bantam Books
>(ISBN-0-553-34397-1). According to the book, that file is the original
>Atari Corp. definition; the header files in the book bear a 1985 Atari
>Corp. copyright.

	Does anyone in the UK know of any book chain that can actually
	get hold of this book