[comp.sys.atari.st] TeX/LaTeX

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (04/11/89)

One of the groups at my workplace is considering a Mega and an SLM804 with
UltraScript; the group wants to know if LaTeX is available for the ST (I
told them TeX was) and is there an SLM804 driver available (TeX/LaTeX without
a laser driver would seem kind of pointless).

If someone on the Net has info about this, please post a reply or send an
E-mail reply to me directly.

                            Much appreciated

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (04/12/89)

In article <8904111313.AA05948@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>One of the groups at my workplace is considering a Mega and an SLM804 with
>UltraScript; the group wants to know if LaTeX is available for the ST (I
>told them TeX was) and is there an SLM804 driver available (TeX/LaTeX without
>a laser driver would seem kind of pointless).

I am using Tools TeX with a Mega and an SLM804 and am very pleased
with it.  Cost of TeX, LaTeX, bibtex, previewer/driver, and fonts was
around $170 when I bought it last December.  Although the company is
German, they include both English and German versions of TeX and
LaTeX, and the manual is available in both languages.  The address of
the company is:

                Gesellschaft zur
                Entwicklung und Unterstuetzung von
                Software-Technik mbH
                Kessenicher Str. 108
                5300 Bonn 1
                WEST GERMANY
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

eykhout@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Eykhout V.L.) (04/13/89)

From article <8904111313.AA05948@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog):
> One of the groups at my workplace is considering a Mega and an SLM804 with
> UltraScript; the group wants to know if LaTeX is available for the ST (I
> told them TeX was) and is there an SLM804 driver available (TeX/LaTeX without
> a laser driver would seem kind of pointless).

There are two German firms, Kettler and Tools, (Kettler seems to
be out of bussiness, but also seems to have been taken over),
that have TeX. LaTeX is included in both cases. Tools btw also have
Metafont. The Tools DVI.PRG has a driver for the SLM804.

However, if you are very picky where it concerns visual output,
there is a warning. The SLM  is a write-white engine, and the TeX
Computer Modern font is very susceptible to damages. Thus the result
is not as good as, say, on an Apple Laserwriter. I have used both, so
I can compare them. If you have other fonts (the Postscript emulator
seems to be almost available) the problems may not be so bad.

Victor.