[comp.sys.atari.st] RSC2C ob_spec cast

bobs@moliman.MoliEnergy.BC.CA (Robert J Silliker) (04/13/89)

In article <780@stag.UUCP> to_stdnet@stag.UUCP writes:

  >From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
  >
  >A problem, and some questions, on resource files:
  >
  >I've been using Bob Silliker's RSC2C.TTP program to decompose (is that the
  >right word?) GEM resource files into C sources. I ran into a small
  >incompatibility with the OBDEFS.H file I've been using.

Stuff deleted.

  >RSC2C program produces code in which that field is either a long
  >hexadecimal number, a string, or the address of any of several other types
  >of array. If it is the former, Sozobon C refuses to compile the code,
  >since it is expecting a pointer. If it is the address of a non-char array,
  >it merely complains.

  >I recently acquired Mark Williams C, so I took a look at the OBDEFS.H file
  >that came with it. In that file, the declaration is changed to unsigned
  >long.

  >Now (finally) to my questions:
  >
  >* Is the MWC alteration of ob_spec from char * to unsigned long in
  >  OSBIND.H appropriate? Should I alter my OSBIND.H file to unsigned long?

I don't think this is a good idea unless it comes straight from MW.  You
will lose compatibility with MWC sources otherwise.

  >* Should I fix RSC2C so that it casts the field to a char pointer? I'm
  >  leaning toward the this alternative.

Yes.  Please do not post the complete sources or the binary.  Posting a
patch is acceptable.  I will be creating a new version that will allow
you to change the type of cast made into ob_spec.  This will probably
take the form of a command line argument.

Are there any casts other than (char *) and (unsigned long) that
should be included?  Anybody?

| Disclaimer:  The above opinions are my own and not those of Moli Energy. |
	 | Bob Silliker | bobs@moliman.molienergy.bc.ca       |
	 |              | ...uunet!van-bc!resrch!moliman!bobs |