[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) (04/07/89)

I have a bit of a problem! I just backed up my entire hard disk using the
Turtle backup utility in order to reformat my hard disk. (I wanted to
try formatting my Seagate ST296N at 1:1 interleave). Well now that I've
discovered that I can't format 1:1 (I have ROM8's), I reformatted to 2:1
interleave. Now I need to restore my hard disk from the floppies. I can't
figure out how to do this!!! Other than manually copying all of the files
off of the floppies I can find no way to do this using Turtle (or any of
the support programs). The program "Terrapin" allows me to restore a file
which is not helpful. I need to restore the entire hard disk from floppies.
Turtle (3.0 I believe is what I have) has only a "backup" option from what I
can tell - no "restore" option!

Help! Help! I'm practically in a panic. Please someone help me....

e-mail is best if you can reach me...

Thanx very much in advance!!

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet
Uucp: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucschu!humtech

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/11/89)

In article <6840@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:
> Other than manually copying all of the files
> off of the floppies I can find no way to do this using Turtle (or any of
> the support programs).

You have hit on the only solution there is: copy the files from floppy
to your hard disk.  Too bad for you that TOS 1.4 isn't out yet:
it'd be a lot faster.

Did you know that you can use the desktop to copy a whole floppy to a
hard disk, including (recursively) copying directories, by dropping the
floppy disk's icon onto the open window of the hard disk's root
directory? That'll be fastest.

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) (04/12/89)

In article <1450@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>In article <6840@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:
>> Other than manually copying all of the files
>> off of the floppies I can find no way to do this using Turtle (or any of
>> the support programs).
>
>You have hit on the only solution there is: copy the files from floppy
>to your hard disk.  Too bad for you that TOS 1.4 isn't out yet:
>it'd be a lot faster.
>
>Did you know that you can use the desktop to copy a whole floppy to a
>hard disk, including (recursively) copying directories, by dropping the
>floppy disk's icon onto the open window of the hard disk's root
>directory? That'll be fastest.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Well, yes but.... My only gripe about this is what do I do if Turtle broke
a large folder up over several disks? Enlighten me if I'm wrong (because it
is entirely possible), but when I try to copy a folder to a place where a
folder with that name already exists, it wants to overwrite the entire folder.
I had lots of folders like this when I did my manual restore. I had to open
the folder and copy out each file individually.

But then again, I can't really think of a solution to this (at least from
the desktop). I think I'm really spoiled because I've used DiskFit on the
mac which is truly fantastic. I just assumed that such an application would
exist on other machines.... I guess not.

pvf@bridge2.3Com.Com (Paul V. Fries) (04/15/89)

In article <6840@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:

.I have a bit of a problem! I just backed up my entire hard disk using the
.Turtle backup utility in order to reformat my hard disk. (I wanted to
.try formatting my Seagate ST296N at 1:1 interleave). Well now that I've
.discovered that I can't format 1:1 (I have ROM8's), I reformatted to 2:1
.interleave. Now I need to restore my hard disk from the floppies. I can't
.figure out how to do this!!! Other than manually copying all of the files
.off of the floppies I can find no way to do this using Turtle (or any of
.the support programs). The program "Terrapin" allows me to restore a file
.which is not helpful. I need to restore the entire hard disk from floppies.
.Turtle (3.0 I believe is what I have) has only a "backup" option from what I
.can tell - no "restore" option!
.
.Help! Help! I'm practically in a panic. Please someone help me....

No need to panic.  Copy the floppies.

I, for one, count this as a small blessing.  The files can always be
copied manually "if all else fails".

I wrote myself a restore program, however, to fix up the date and time
information when restoring the turtle floppies.
It would have been nice if something had been included in the turtle
distribution, but I would rather have turtle without restore than no
turtle at all.