[comp.sys.atari.st] Fun with Sun - the Mouse

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (04/12/89)

If you have a Sun workstation:

1) I pity you.  Although it is VERY powerful, it is crippled by that
damn awful mouse.  We have Sun 3/50 workstations at school, and those
damn mice get the biggest complaints.

2) If you want to be silly, put the mouse on the screen.  The cursor
will FLY up to the top of the screen.  As far as I can figure, since
the mouse is optical, it mistakes the scan lines as one of those black
lines on the pad.

Now as for the Atari mouse, I've seen better and worse.  Luckily, I have
the Japanese mouse, so I have had no major problems with it after 2
years (except for replacing the left button).  Has anybody experimented
with putting a different switch in it to get more feedback?

=cf=

kev@ist.CO.UK (Kevin Holmes) (04/14/89)

From article <658@ultb.UUCP>, by clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser):
> If you have a Sun workstation:
>
> 2) If you want to be silly, put the mouse on the screen.  The cursor
> will FLY up to the top of the screen.
>
> =cf=

Yeah, I tried this on the Sun's in the office - it worked on all
of them except mine, which was the only one displaying "California
Beach Bums" (2 nude female behinds for those without Suns) as the
background - I wonder if there's some implication in this...

Kev Holmes     kev@ist.CO.UK | "Selling software is just like
Imperial Software Technology |  prostitution; You've got it, You sell it,
Reading, Royal Berkshire, UK |  You've still got it!" - D. Lambert IST.

scott@amon-re.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (04/15/89)

In article <658@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:
>If you have a Sun workstation:
>
>1) I pity you.  Although it is VERY powerful, it is crippled by that
>damn awful mouse.  We have Sun 3/50 workstations at school, and those
>damn mice get the biggest complaints.
Well, you do have to use them on the optical pads.... but there are some
advantages with this.  One that I can think of is related to something that
someone recently posted to the net-- if you had an optical mouse on your
atari, no matter how zealous your game playing got, you would not wear out
the roller-ball because there wouldn't be one.  On the other hand, I don't
want to have to pay hundreds of dollars to get a new ST mouse in the event
that something DID happen to it.

>2) If you want to be silly, put the mouse on the screen.  The cursor
>will FLY up to the top of the screen.  As far as I can figure, since
>the mouse is optical, it mistakes the scan lines as one of those black
>lines on the pad.
I use this to my advantage...
If you have to do work and the lab is full... well, it is almost full--
every sun is taken except for the one with the broken mouse.... well,
you can still use the machine if you want to move the mouse around by
putting it to the monitor!

>Now as for the Atari mouse, I've seen better and worse.  Luckily, I have
>the Japanese mouse, so I have had no major problems with it after 2
>years (except for replacing the left button).  Has anybody experimented
>with putting a different switch in it to get more feedback?
I don't mind the mouse as much as the MORONIC location of the jack!
Personally, I bought a joystick extender-- that 5 foot joystick extension
cable.  I have that plugged in all the time so whenever I want to switch the mouse with a joystick (or the other way around), I don't have to move my entire
setup!

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]