[comp.sys.atari.st] PD modula 2 for the ST

mike@ncrcpx.UUCP (Mike Reiss) (03/27/89)

Tried to send this message to Ranier Klute but it bounced.
Sorry to have to put it to the net, but it is short.

Any chance of getting my grubby little paws on a copy of that public domain
modula 2 that you mentioned?  I'd love to have a copy.  My guess is there
are others who would like to also.  (I'm not on Bitnet or any other
commercial network.  I cannot ftp.  My only net access is USENET.)  Any
chance ???

mike

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (03/31/89)

In article <1821844@ncrcpx.UUCP> mike@ncrcpx.Cambridge.NCR.COM (Mike Reiss) writes:
>Any chance of getting my grubby little paws on a copy of that public domain
>modula 2 that you mentioned?  I'd love to have a copy.  My guess is there
>are others who would like to also.  (I'm not on Bitnet or any other
>commercial network.  I cannot ftp.  My only net access is USENET.)  Any
>chance ???

The answer is in the subject line. My two reasons are:

1. Someone told me that someone from the producers staff said
   that he never knew that the Modula-2 system is in the public
   domain. Well, that could be true: In the copyright file on
   the system disk it is stated that copies of the system may
   be made and passed to others for non-commercial use only.
   The producer keeps all rights. This is of course not the
   same as "public domain". I shall try to find out what is
   really ment and whether I am allowed to distribute it or not.

2. The second reason is a technical one: The Modula-2 system
   consists of several folders containing folders and so on. If
   they weren't so numerous I could make an .arc file containing
   .arc files etc. out of it. But so it won't be any pleasure.

   --> What I do is waiting for ZOO for the ST appearing in
   --> comp.binaries.atari.st.

   Once I (and you) have it (and the above mentioned problem is
   clear) I will pack the whole stuff into one .zoo file and
   send it to Steven Grimm.  Hopefully he will accept that
   format.

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (03/31/89)

Just one fact I forgot to mention in my previous posting
(<1251@laura.UUCP>) about the (hopefully) free Modula-2 system:

The documentation is all written in german :-(.

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/13/89)

Here is some good news for you who send me e-mail to get the
Modula-2 system for the ST and for you who didn't: It's really
free and I am allowed to pass it on. I will do so as soon as
the ZOO archiving utility is out on comp.binaries.atari.st.

Please understand the the producer is neither willing to give
any support nor to answer questions of thousands of user all
over the world. If you have the system be happy. Don't expect
anything from anybody.

  Rainer Klute           ----    klute@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB    |)|/    klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500        |\|\    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50       ----    Tel.: +49 231 7554663

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (04/17/89)

Finally! ZOO is out on comp.binaries.atari.st.

I just downloaded it and at once tried to packed the PD
Modula-2 system into a ZOO file. It works very fast. Storing
the complete Modula-2 system (about 550k) from floppy to a ZOO
file on harddisk took nearly 8 minutes.

Thanks to Daan Jitta for the port and especially for the
additional "/" option which allows to add a complete file
systems to an archive without having to mention each and every
file explicitly.

As I already announced before I mailed the Modula-2 system to
Steven Grimm. It should show up on comp.binaries.atari.st
within the next time.