[comp.sys.atari.st] Quantum 80S

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (04/11/89)

I'm looking for an incredible deal on the Quantum 80S.
ANybody know of a reliable mail-order house carrying this
drive?  Price?

Thanks

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (04/11/89)

In article <1538@blake.acs.washington.edu> a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:
>I'm looking for an incredible deal on the Quantum 80S.
>ANybody know of a reliable mail-order house carrying this
>drive?  Price?

	I don't know if it's an incredible deal, but I just got a Quantum 80s
for $800 from Technology Works in Austin, TX. I dropped it into a LaCie
External Drive Kit, formatted it with SilverLining, and now I have one
wicked fast 80MB hard disk.

		--Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 "She told me to make myself comfortable, so I pulled down my pants
 and sat in the pudding." -Emo Phillips
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) (04/16/89)

Sorry to keep this thing dragging on.....

but if someone knows the answer to this, i can refrain from
future postings.....

I bought a quantum 80S from a Mac dealer... the "bare" drives
they get from Quantum are apparently already set up to run on the
mac.... ie., there was a jumper on one set of pins and the drive
seemed to be formatted for a mac already.... leaving the jumper
where it was , i couldn't get Supra to format the drive.  I have
the latest version of the software which recognized the drive...
so i know it is not the software.  Putting the jumper on other
sets of the pins either kept the drive from even spinning or
failed to allow formatting.  Removing the jumper also failed
to allow formatting.  As i have no idea what the jumper
configuration should be, i am hoping that someone who is actually
using the Quantum 80S with Supra Host could fill me in on the
pin configuration.   Below is a diagram of the pins and the jumper
set when i received the drive in the mail.  (my Atari dealer has
never worked with this drive before.... so he is at a loss as much
as i am....)

A0 .  .
A1 .  .     SCSI pins
A2 .  .

WS .  .
EP .__.  <-jumper
SS .  .

HELP!

-kevin
a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu

tremblay@cg-atla.UUCP (Ken Tremblay) (04/18/89)

EP : installed will allow parity checking
SS : do not install,  if installed drive performs a "butterfly"
     self seek test continuously while power is on.
A0, A1, A2: Device ID - A0=LSB,  A2=MSB.
Terminators: installed if drive is the last device on the SCSI bus.
--
         AGFA Compugraphic               cg-atla!tremblay
         200 Ballardvale