[comp.sys.atari.st] who am I when running UW

meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (04/17/89)

Hi!

I've encountered the following problem when using UW:
If I run UW the remote system does not seem to know any more who I am.
who am I says No login?! and talk tells me
you don't exist; Go Away!
The question is: Has somebody already fixed this, or am I on my own
here? If it is fixed, please send me a copy or a pointer.

Thanks,
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcvax!philmds!prle!cst!meulenbr)

parkb@csri.toronto.edu ("Brian T. Park") (04/20/89)

In article <439@prles2.UUCP> meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl () writes:

>I've encountered the following problem when using UW:
>If I run UW the remote system does not seem to know any more who I am.
>who am I says No login?! and talk tells me
>you don't exist; Go Away!
>The question is: Has somebody already fixed this, or am I on my own
>here? If it is fixed, please send me a copy or a pointer.

In the uw server 4.2  that I am using, one is supposed
to compile with the -DUTMP option so that uw can update /etc/utmp.
However, this doesn't seem to work. Sorry to say, I have not
had the strong desire to track this bug down (don't we all have nicer
things to do?).

I get around this by typing
	% rlogin localhost
when I really need to talk to someone.  Sometimes it's an advantage not
to be seen by people... y'get more work done. :-)

Brian
parkb@emca.waves.utoronto.ca, parkb@emca.waves.toronto.edu (for US people),
parkb@(which ever workstation I'm sending this on...)