[comp.sys.atari.st] ATTENTION ATARI

sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) (04/22/89)

	This message is directed at Atari but I would be interested in other
on what Atari is doing to this net.  It would contain the status of machines
and have news about what Atari is doing in general.  Does anybody out there
have any input on this?

							- Scott F. Brown

* 	- How many time do I have to tell you? If you're going to live on our*
* planet, you have to speak our language.                                    *
*                                                                            *
*        					-Scott F. Brown              *
*                                                                            *
*                                              sbrown@andy.bgsu.edu.uucp     *

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (04/22/89)

In article <4039@bgsuvax.UUCP> sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) writes:
>	This message is directed at Atari but I would be interested in other
>on what Atari is doing to this net.  It would contain the status of machines
>and have news about what Atari is doing in general.  Does anybody out there
>have any input on this?

While I understand your desire to know what to expect from Atari and
your frustration at the lack of outward signs of progress from other
than the rumor mill, realistically I don't think this is in Atari's
interests at all.  No corporation wants their strategies and progress
known in this fashion.

	o A company's plans and problems are usually considered its own
	  business.  A company's fiscal health could be very
	  adversely affected by releasing information about the
	  current state of ongoing projects.
	  A series of good progress reports followed by word of a
	  setback could have catastrophic effects on the company's
	  stock performance.

	o After all the flak Atari has taken about vaporware products
	  etc. can you imagine how much trouble weekly progress reports
	  like this would get them into with exactly the same people who
	  want this information? Atari would inevitably take flak over
	  any decision they announced in this fashion
	  from the same people who asked for the information to be
	  publicized...  ("Not enough graphics modes!"  "Too
	  expensive!"  "We demand a better upgrade path!" etc.)

Atari is still trying to get their act together.  I think from what
I've seen lately they're doing better for themselves by playing it
close to the chest... it gives them a little more room to maneuver
without having hordes of Atari owners or Atari watchers nipping at their
heels with complaint after complaint...  while this 'weekly news from
Atari' might be a nice PR gesture if it contained anything of substance
it could cause no end of headaches for the company.

-Antonio Romero      romero@confidence.princeton.edu