[comp.sys.atari.st] color setting

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (04/23/89)

Being too lazy to jump right into this, I'm asking you to help me set up the
color palette within a GEM application.  The nicest way would be to use the
control panel accessory, since it's familiar to most users.  Anyone care to
tell me how it sets colors?  From the ways it doesn't work in various
situations I get the idea that it sends messages to the desktop, and the
desktop does the color setting.  In that case, I'd be delighted to hear what
the messages look like, and maybe some hints about how to steal only the color
setting messages and not upset the desktop too much.  If the control panel
isn't usable, next choice is publicly re-usable code to set the palette.  I've
seen references to it existing, but I haven't seen the code.  Anyone care to
tell me where I can get it (bbs, uucp or mailserver)?
    I should warn you that while I'll give credit freely, this is for an
application that I hope to make some money from.  At present, though, it
appears that it will be distributed with full source code.
                                       Steve J.

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (04/24/89)

In article <8268@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>Being too lazy to jump right into this, I'm asking you to help me set up the
>color palette within a GEM application.  The nicest way would be to use the
>control panel accessory, since it's familiar to most users.  Anyone care to
>tell me how it sets colors?  From the ways it doesn't work in various
>situations I get the idea that it sends messages to the desktop, and the

The control panel calls the xbios.  It either calls setpallete() once
or setColor() 16 times.  See your C or Pascal manual for the details.
{  what opinions?!? what disclaimer !?!?!        ken@all.over.the.place  }