[comp.sys.atari.st] Trade in a internal single drive for double sided

moses@m-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) (04/23/89)

I have a question for those who work for Atari, what is happening with the
double sided drives for people who are trading in their internal single sided
drives, I have been to a local St dealer, and there are a lot of people wanting
to upgrade, but they aren't coming in, I would like to know why they aren't
before my single sided drive gives out...

 ...!uunet.uu.net!cardiology.ummc.umich.edu!m-net!moses

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (04/24/89)

In article <3128@m2-net.UUCP> moses@m-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) writes:
>I have a question for those who work for Atari, what is happening with the
>double sided drives for people who are trading in their internal single sided
>drives, I have been to a local St dealer, and there are a lot of people wanting
>to upgrade, but they aren't coming in, I would like to know why they aren't
>before my single sided drive gives out...

One VERY viable way to go is to buy a DS drive mech and install it
yourself.  Since you have an INTERNAL drive, you might have to do some
hacking on the case so the faceplate fits, but it would be worth it.
The drive you have, unless your machine is VERY new, is a Chinon drive.
Needless to say, Chinon drives are the pits.  The case might not look
too great, but putting in a different drive will benefit you GREATLY in
the future.

I recommend the Toshiba ND-354 (NOT the 352!).  This drive should fit in
your case with a minimum of "hacking".  Your best bet would be to cut
out a rectangle the same size as the face plate on the drive, then put
the drive in the machine.  If you do it right, it will look pretty good.
This drive is easy to find (in Computer Shopper), much less expensive
than having a new DS Chinon installed (a guy in our User Group had to
pay $175 for a new drive!), and is by FAR a better mechanism.  You can
find them for about $85-$90.  Just make sure it is the ND-354.  The
ND-352 will NOT work right.

=cf=