after reading these, you suspect that I have excluded the negative

From: leo@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Leo Wilson)

I have had mixed experiences with Supra 20MB drives, so I thought my pennies
might be useful despite the zillion responses your request is going to
generate.

First, my own drive: Supra 20MB (really miniscribe 3.5" 20MB), no daisy-chain
plug: Noisy, but it works like a champ. I've had it for > 2 years, and it has
treated me right thus far. I treat it like a hard drive, meaning: I don't
power it off or spin it down. Never. Well, a couple of times, but that's it.
I don't jiggle or jostle it at all. It stays in one place, hasn't moved a
millimeter since buying it. No problems. It IS noisy, though.

Second, my last employer's drives: Jeeze, they went through Supra 20MB drives
like a spoiled kid goes through cotton candy at an amusement park. They were
convinced (despite my admonishments) that they should shut them off at night,
they kept them on jiggly typewriter tables, and they'd shove them around while
running to accomadate papers they were working on. They drives lasted from
four to eight months each.

So, here's what I suggest: If your situation is like mine, get a Supra. Nice
drive, albeit a little NOISY. If your situation is like theirs, get an Astra
drive. It's designed to be more physically robust. Seems a little quieter,
too. Looks worth the extra $$ for the built in DS-DD floppy.

From: John R. Dunning <jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

I bought a Supra 20 last fall, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.  I
heartily recommend it, esp in comparison to the Atari drivers.  I know,
they're built out of the same kinds of components, but I've heard of a
lot more SH204s going bad than Supras.  My only complaint is that I
overflowed the thing too fast; after a while 20 Meg doesn't seem very
big...

From: Marion Hakanson <hakanson@mist.cs.orst.edu>

I've had mine (the older 5-1/4" 20M drive, not the new 3-1/2" one)
for two years.  No problems so far.  Their software is solid, too.

From: rutgers!sunybcs!sbcs!lean@ncar.UCAR.EDU

I ordered the 20Meg SUpra drive more than 4 months ago. The first one that i
got has a minor problem. I called up Supra the very day and was advised to
send it back. I did and a new one was sent back to me within 6 days (i'm
on east coast. supra is on west coast).   Very fast turnaround. I was
happy.
 I've used that drive since and haven't had the slightest problem.
However, the fan makes a little noise (as in some frives). Do see and
listen to one personally.  I have no regrets buying it.

From: Scott R. Chilcote <dunike!xanth.cs.odu.edu!isis!src>

   I regularly use a BBS in Norfolk, VA that is run on an ST with a 20 Meg
Supra Hard Drive.  This drive has been run 24 hours a day for a year and a
half, and has suffered no mechanical problems.

   Two things:  Supra drives, for the last year, have usually come with a
plug on the back for an additional drive.  You can use an inexpensive bare
drive since the controller can handle two simultaneously.  Make sure your
drive has one if your interested.

   Supra can make goofs now and then.  The store that runs the board received
one Supra HD that had an unshielded cable--and did not work properly at all!
After calling them the cable and interface were replaced quickly and at Supra's
expense.  They claimed that it had been shipped "by mistake."

   A couple of times files on the BBS have been found to be glitched, but this
is not the fault of the drive.  Some programs, such as games made to be instal-
led on hard drives, do not handle them well.  Small FAT errors can affect other
programs and cause headaches.  The only cure is to keep regular backups in a
safe place.  Even IBM drive owners have those problems!

From: Dave Allum <mcvax!ux63.bath.ac.uk!sc_dra@uunet.UU.NET>

I've had one for a year now and have had no trouble with it.
It appears that not all Supra 20M units have the same drive,
mine is a fanless MiniScribe 3 1/2", so it's worth checking
what they are currently shipping. The supplied utilities -
formatter, sector editor, autoboot etc. - all work well. All
in all I have no complaints. At the time I bought it it was
cheaper that the Atari equivalent (and a *lot* smaller), that
difference may no longer apply.

From: stag!dynasoft!john (John Stanley)

  Jim, I've been using a Supra-30meg hard disk for close to two
years.  The only problems I've had were when I've parked the heads,
turned off the drive, turned the drive back on, and then (without
rebooting the ST) tried to access the drive before it had finished
powering-up.  Needless to say, this was my own damned fault for
trying to get fancy with my use of the hard disk.  As long as I wait
until it's fully awake before I try accessing it, there's no problem.
Needless to mention since this controller is probably almost three
years old, Supra may have fixed even this problem by now.

   With the exception mentioned above, I've been very happy with my
Supra drive.

  BTW, last time I checked, it was not possible to cycle the Atari
hard disk off and then on and then access the drive without rebooting
the ST.  This is one distinct advantage of the Supra.  It allows me
to do 90% of my programming without having the distraction of a hard
disk whurring in the background and still allows me to easily get to
tools on the hard disk if I need them.

davel@hpvcla.HP.COM (David Lowe) (07/21/88)

>Thanks to everyone who mailed a response to my query about Supra hard
>drives!  I ordered a Supra 20 meg, which arrived Thursday, and it's
>marvelous.  (One small problem: the new model has a clock, but there's
>no documentation
Yeah. No comment at all about the clock or the SCSI port.

>		  and I haven't been able to figure out how to have the
>software included with the drive automatically set the system clock when
>turning on the ST (I assume that's what it's supposed to do).  If any-
>one who has the new Supra model has figured out how to do this I (and
>probably some other new Supra owners) would appreciate hearing the
>details - thanks).
Putting the SUPCLKRD.PRG into the AUTO folder on the boot partition seems to
get the clock set.

Dave Lowe
davel%hpvclx@hplabs.HP.COM
hplabs!hp-pcd!hpvcla!davel

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (07/27/88)

I'm sort of amazed that there are so many people recommending Supra
Drives.   I must have had a unique experience, but oddly with all the
ST hard drives we use at BDT, the *only* drives that have ever given
us trouble have been the Supra Drives and an Astra Drive.   Even
the Atari drive, an original developers SH204, has worked without
failure (althoough I expect it will die someday soon becuase it
has a Seagate ST225 inside).  We have many BMS 100 drives (34.5 MB),
2 Supra Drives, 1 Astra Drive, and 1 SH204 (all 20MB).   Both Supras
have failed more than once - each time it has been the Supra interface
board.   The Astra drive completely went away and it had to be
replaced with a BMS set-up.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if

grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (08/11/88)

In article <355@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>The Astra drive completely went away and it had to be
>replaced with a BMS set-up.

When you say "completely went away", what exactly do you mean?  Does this
imply also that you have called them for support and not been satisfied
with the results?

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465

870086t@aucs.UUCP (SHANNON W. TREMBLAY) (04/19/89)

  I am looking to buy a hard drive but would like to have one that I can use as
a monitor stand.  The only people I know with ST's tell me that the drive can
only have a 18 inch. (approx.) long cable or you will run into transfer rate
problems.  Can any one out there tell me if this is true and if so if there is
a way around the problem.

                         Thanx in advance
                                       Shannon

                         My Bit Net Address is
                                       870086t@Acadia

                         Just use Reply, it's easier!

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/22/89)

Supra drives are the ones that are limited to an 18" cable, and they
also should not be used as monitor stands due to their shape and
size (shoebox.)  The ICD FaST case is perfectly suited as a monitor
stand and ICD's adaptor and shielding allow a cable up to 6' (feet!)
in length.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/24/89)

I just wanted to point out, that if the SCSI interface is up to full specs that
,PROVIDED you use a shielded cable, you can do MUCH more than 18". in fact
the SCSI specs say you can use up to a 40 foot cable. Of course, the shorter
the cable the better. But I have used cables up to about 35 or so without any
trouble. In fact, I am using a 6 foot cable off of a Supra interface right
now, keep in mind this is off of an Amiga. However, I see no reason why the
same would not work on the Supra interface for the Atari.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com