[comp.sys.atari.st] Disk Speed

grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (04/25/89)

In article <1666@blake.acs.washington.edu> a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:

>I don't own an ASTRA, but i recall talking to
>the "owner" several months back and he said
>that the drives use a VERY extended format,
>something on the order of 900k+.

Huh?  There is no special format associated with the internal floppy.  It
is just a normal drive.  Who did you talk to?  Everyone there knows better,
supposedly...

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465

bissiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Moja Fritzah) (04/25/89)

In article <4854@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> grieggs@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) writes:
>In article <1666@blake.acs.washington.edu> a360ad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gnurr) writes:
>
>>I don't own an ASTRA, but i recall talking to
>>the "owner" several months back and he said
>>that the drives use a VERY extended format,
>>something on the order of 900k+.
>
>Huh?  There is no special format associated with the internal floppy.  It
>is just a normal drive.  Who did you talk to?  Everyone there knows better,
>supposedly...

When i was in the market for a hard drive,
I was considering the Astra system because
of its reputation of being rugged and because
Astra had a rack mount system especially
designed with midi in mind.
I called California and spoke with an elderly
gentleman who gave me the impression that he
was essentially the big "boss" etc. Part of
his sales pitch to me was that their floppy
got "close to a full megabyte" formatted.
I asked him what he meant... did he have his
own formatting software, or was the drive
physically different.  I don't think he understood
my question, because he kept saying that
they got close to a full megabyte.... but
didn't tell me how.  The gentelman was very
nice and quite informative in other respects.
But, I had to wonder if using floppies created
on the Astra floppy wouldn't run me into trouble
with other systems.  ANyway, i didn't buy the
drive.... i thought i'd pass this info on to
the person who posted the original article
who said floppies from the Astra drive
were Astra specific.

-kevin