[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari TT graphics

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (04/18/89)

According to the newest issue of "ST Report", the graphic
resolution of the Atari TT will be 1280x960 mono, 640x400 16 colors,
and
  320x200 256 colors.  Is this info accurate?  If this is true, then
  how can the TT have a future, when the Amiga 500 , at about $700,
  have about the same graphic power (as far as the color resolution
  is concerned)?  Atari, you really make Atari users disappointing
  over and over again.

sarnila@tukki.jyu.fi (Pekka Sarnila) (04/18/89)

In German STmagazin 4/89 it gives for TT:

resolution   colors  palette
----------------------------
320*200      16      4096
320*480      256     4096
640*200      4       4096
640*400      2       4096
640*480      16      4096
1280*960     monochrome

Pekka Sarnila,  University of Jyvaskyla Finland
sarnila@tukki.jyu.fi

twolf@homxb.ATT.COM (T.WOLF) (04/18/89)

In article <1413@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) writes:
> According to the newest issue of "ST Report", the graphic
> resolution of the Atari TT will be 1280x960 mono, 640x400 16 colors,
> and
>   320x200 256 colors.  Is this info accurate?  If this is true, then
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   how can the TT have a future, when the Amiga 500 , at about $700,
>   have about the same graphic power (as far as the color resolution
>   is concerned)?  Atari, you really make Atari users disappointing
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   over and over again.

FLAME ON...

Now, I'm usually the last person to defend Atari, but this is getting a bit
much.  The 'authour' of this article wasn't sure of the information
(by his own admission) he provided.   But that evidently didn't stop him
from expressing his "sorrow" over Atari's choice of capabilities for the TT.

Now, I don't know what capabilities the TT will have once introduced.  Perhaps
it will feature the resolutions described above, perhaps it will not.  Until
we're certain of the facts, we should refrain from the sort of comments made
in the above article.

...FLAME OFF

BTW, I would be quite happy with 1280x960 mono (if the monitor is larger
than 13''  :-)  If the graphics are done off-cpu (ie. the 68020, if that
is what the TT will have, doesn't have to do all the work) and at reasonable
speed (for X-type work) I would be ecstatic.

--
+---------------+-----------------------------+  I don't remember,
+---------------+-----------------------------+  No memory at all. -P. Gabriel

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (04/21/89)

In article <1413@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>resolution of the Atari TT will be 1280x960 mono, 640x400 16 colors,
>  320x200 256 colors.  Is this info accurate?  If this is true, then
>  how can the TT have a future, when the Amiga 500 , at about $700,
>  have about the same graphic power (as far as the color resolution
>  is concerned)?  Atari, you really make Atari users disappointing
>  over and over again.

Uhh, the new Amiga chipset allows a 1280x800 resolution with 2 bitplanes
(4 colors). And I can do 640x400 16 color (4 bitplanes) now, with my standard
500, along with the standard 320x200/400 4096 color HAM mode - the one thing
Atari has advanced in is a 68030 computer - how far along is it?

+--------------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+
| John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  |   .  .  . .____. .   | jdutka@wpi.bitnet        |
| Worcester Polytechnic	   |   |  |  | |    | |   | jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu       |
| WPI Box 2308             |   |  |  | |____| |   |                          |
| 100 Institute Road	   |   |  |  | |      |   +--------------------------+
| Worcester, MA 01609-2280 |   |__|__| |      |   | WPI  -  Home of the      |
| (508) 792-1949	   |                      | ever-growing tuition and |
| U.S.A.                   | (C) 1989, Chris Moir | freshman failure rate.   |
+--------------------------+----------------------+--------------------------+

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/26/89)

in article <1970@wpi.wpi.edu>, jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) says:

> In article <1413@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>>resolution of the Atari TT will be 1280x960 mono, 640x400 16 colors,
>>  320x200 256 colors.  Is this info accurate?  If this is true, then
>>  how can the TT have a future, when the Amiga 500 , at about $700,
>>  have about the same graphic power (as far as the color resolution
>>  is concerned)?  Atari, you really make Atari users disappointing
>>  over and over again.

> Uhh, the new Amiga chipset allows a 1280x800 resolution with 2 bitplanes
> (4 colors).

Well, not quite.  The new chipset can do ~1280x~400 or ~640x~800 (eg,
overscan is still programmable, so you really can go beyond these nominal
numbers), in 2 bitplanes.  Both modes, however, are interlaced, and the
second one would need a pretty smart multisync type monitor, as it's
essentially an interlaced VGA-resolution mode.

The A2024 monitor (or the Moniterm Viking for the Amiga) will do 1008x800
at 60Hz or 1008x1024 at 50Hz, 2 bitplanes, but it's only B&W.  And it will
eat most of your A500's memory, and it ain't cheap.

> | John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  |   .  .  . .____. .   | jdutka@wpi.bitnet        |
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy