[comp.sys.atari.st] Bad RAM?

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/23/89)

I recently upgraded my ST from 512K to 2.5 Meg.  Among other things, I noticed
that there is a significantly long pause when executing programs (i.e.
double-clicking from the desktop.)  With a large ramdisk, i.e. with very
little memory free, the pause is much shorter.  Is this a system function
or is it due to some aspect of the upgraded memory banks not being
efficient enough?  The upgrade I used is called "EZ-RAM", and while it
did involve some soldering, I am reasonably sure I made no mistakes.

Another problem that may have been caused by the upgrade:  Whenever I
play certain games, especially Dungeon Master, I seem to get lots of
flashing lines on the screen, which multiply to blot out the entire
screen and eventually crash the program.  I know this did not happen before
I upgraded my ram.

Could it be a bad solder joint somewhere?  Bad chips?  Shaky sockets or a
problem with the power supply?

Please reply as e-mail to sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

al@tolerant.UUCP (Albert Palmer) (04/25/89)

In article <111500017@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I recently upgraded my ST from 512K to 2.5 Meg.  Among other things, I noticed
>flashing lines on the screen, which multiply to blot out the entire
>screen and eventually crash the program.  I know this did not happen before
>I upgraded my ram.

I have installed many upgrades to 520s and 1040s.  I have had nothing but
problems with the EZRam upgrade.  I've had the problem you're having on
almost every ST with the newer MMU chip.  When I install the older MMU the
problem goes away.  The other way I found to fix it was to remove the
long cable that goes to the MMU and the resistor packs and solder wires
from one of the center mem chips on the EZRam to one of the center men chips
on the 520.  I used wire wrap wire about 5 inches long.  A friend of mine
has been using that ST as a BBS for about 4 months.  The upgrade board
I've had the best luck with is the New World Software.  It solders in
and uses bus drivers on all lines.  Costs about the same as the EZRam.

al palmer

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (04/27/89)

In article <4112@tolerant.UUCP> al@tolerant.UUCP (Albert Palmer) writes:
>In article <111500017@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>I recently upgraded my ST from 512K to 2.5 Meg.  Among other things, I noticed
>>flashing lines on the screen, which multiply to blot out the entire
>>screen and eventually crash the program.  I know this did not happen before
>>I upgraded my ram.
>
>I have installed many upgrades to 520s and 1040s.  I have had nothing but
>problems with the EZRam upgrade.  I've had the problem you're having on
>almost every ST with the newer MMU chip.

(Rest deleted)

I have the original EZ Ram upgrade installed in my 520.
It's been there for almost 2 years now, and I have yet to have a problem
with it.  It's been VERY reliable.  Although they aren't the easiest
things to install (lining up the pins on the upgrade to the holes atop
the MMU was a nightmare), I would recommend them.

Mind you, I refer to the first upgrade board.  I don't have any
experience with the newer EZ-RAM II.  BUT if I ever decide to go to
2.5 or 4 megs, I'll stick with the EZ-RAM board.

=cf=