[comp.sys.atari.st] uudecoder

S82895@PRIME-A.PLYMOUTH.AC.UK (R. A. Quadling) (04/14/89)

Chris,
      There is no guarantee that I am right, but the UUDECODE.BAS should be run
on a file called UUD.UUE (or something similar). The .BAS file is NOT a complete
working copy, just a temporary one so that you can get the proper version. This
does make sense. If you run the .BAS on the .UUE (ONLY the UUDecode program),
you should then have a valid UUD.TTP file. You can then UUDecode happily.

I think the .BAS file only does a very simple alalgorithm which has no REAL
value outside that of de-encoding the original UUD.TTP file.

I hope this makes sense.

As I am a bit wary of my gateway, PLEASE send a reply specifically to me saying
you received this mail. (Please give the date and times when you received it
and the header ,so I can give a better pathway.)

Have fun.

Gilbert.

P.S. I think what I said is right, but others may know different.

=====================++========================================================
Richard Alan Quadling|| (JANET)  S82895@UK.AC.PLYMOUTH.PRIME-A
11, Fellowes Place,  || (BITNET) If you can fill in the blanks for me I would
Millbridge,          ||          be very happy.
Plymouth,            |+========================================================
Devon,               || DISCLAIMER : Anything said by me is the truth as far as
England.             || I know and I cannot be held responsible for any offence
PL1 5NB.             || this causes. If you don't like what I say, then don't
Tel: (0752) 567045   || read it.
=====================++========================================================

MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (Marcelino Bernardo) (04/28/89)

Chris 'ST Guru' Edgington <EDGINGTON_C@WABASH>writes:

>All,
>        Well, I finally figured out the problem I was having with UUDECODE.BAS
>in st basic.  It seems the program was written for a very early version of basi
>
>that had some bugs in it and the program did things that made up for the bugs.
>I am using st basic 1987 version(i think) so it didn't need the program to mak
>up for the bugs because the bugs were already gone.  I decided to totally revam

>the entire program and now it runs alot smoother and faster.  If anyone would
>like a copy of the new UUDECODE.BAS, just send me a mail message requesting it
>your help.
>Chris Edgington

I too am having problems with trying to UUDECODE the file UUCODE.UUE with
UUDECODE.BAS, both from UH-INFO@UHUPVM1.  I am using a 1040stf with the "USA
ST Language Disk".  I get checksum warning from ARCX.TPP when I use it on
the output of UUDECODE.BAS.  The source has comments on it about a bug in
the earlier version of ST Basic.  I reads the first line of the input file
twice.  I have removed the extra read (line 130), but it still doesn't work
right.

I wonder if Chris or some kind soul out there would send me a corrected
version of UUDECODE.BAS for the newer units.  I was told mine has the
mega roms in it.  Without a manual for ST Basic, it's a little difficult
to debug the program. (Note that Atari no longer includes ST Basic manual
with the computer.)

Thanks in advance.

MarcelinoBernardo
Bitnet: mbernar@erenj