[comp.sys.atari.st] DeskJet printing Quality

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (04/15/89)

Would anyone who has seen DeskJet output and laser printer output care
to compare them qualitatively for me?

Two specific cases:

1.) Do DeskJet fonts look like they are letter quality?

2.) Are DeskJet graphics sharp and consistent -- something you wouldn't
    mind taking to a printers for mass production copying?

Thanks,

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / logajan@ns.network.com / john@logajan.mn.org -

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) (04/29/89)

John Logajan writes:
>Would anyone who has seen DeskJet output and laser printer output care
>to compare them qualitatively for me?

>Two specific cases:

>1.) Do DeskJet fonts look like they are letter quality?

Yes.  I have a DeskJet at home and I can't tell the difference between
its output and a LaserJet.  In 300 dpi mode, the DeskJet is considerably
slower than a LaserJet, however.

>2.) Are DeskJet graphics sharp and consistent -- something you wouldn't
>    mind taking to a printers for mass production copying?

The graphics are 300 dpi just as sharp as LaserJet graphics.  I've used
my DeskJet for newsletters and mailings and feel that the output is
superb.

There are a couple of disadvantages to the DeskJet.  For one, the ink
is water soluable; don't spill coffee on your output.  Also, due to
RAM limitations in the DeskJet, 300 dpi graphic outputs can keep your
system busy for quite a while.  I use 150 dpi until my final draft.

Ron Abramson