[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari commercial

sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) (04/30/89)

	On Saturday, I was watching the newest episode of Star Trek:TNG
and an Atari ST commercial came up.  It was comparing the ST to the Mac SE
and the IBM PS/50.  It went along the lines of we buy chips, they buy chips,
we buy plastic, they buy plastic, so why the cost difference?  Because with
them you have to buy these exspensive parts.  At this point in the commercial
IBM and Apple's logos are shown.  The commercial then went into a very brief
pitch about the ST's capabilities.  My question is this.  Is this a new
commercial?  Is Atari finally going to poke it's head into the USA market?
I have my doubts but I'm (sigh) always hopeful.

							- Scott F. Brown

* 	- How many time do I have to tell you? If you're going to live on our*
* planet, you have to speak our language.                                    *
*                                                                            *
*        					-Scott F. Brown              *
*                                                                            *
*                                              sbrown@andy.bgsu.edu.uucp     *

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (05/01/89)

In article <4073@bgsuvax.UUCP> sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) writes:
>	On Saturday, I was watching the newest episode of Star Trek:TNG
>and an Atari ST commercial came up.

  Lucky you. Some of us are STILL waiting to see Atari on teevee. How about
the Canadian Atarians who got the Atari advertisements in TIME Magazine?

> [ Commercial details deleted]
>Is this a new
>commercial?  Is Atari finally going to poke it's head into the USA market?
>I have my doubts but I'm (sigh) always hopeful.

  Well, as Sig Hartmann said at the Anaheim World of Atari show, Atari Corp.
wants to keep Atari advertising localized. So if the Ohio-region Atari sales
are doing very good, they might run more ads to get more customers.
Unfortunately, this means there will be no coordinated, nationwide Atari
advertising in the ear future.

  Does thie mean Atari is not going to push in the U.S.? I doubt it, since
they are planning to release the PC Portfolio and the STacy here first (with,
according to Sig, "_massive_ advertising"). I'd like to see commercials, sure,
but actions speak louder than hype, and I'd rather see Atari actually SELLING
more equipment than count ad spots.

						--R.J.
						B-)

                 Disclaimer: This message was written with my authorization
      # ## #
      # ## #     Mailing address: rjung@nunki.usc.edu
     ## ## ##          (It's easier to just use the reply function, tho)
  ####  ##  ####

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (05/01/89)

Scott Brown asks:
>On Saturday, I was watching the newest episode of Star Trek:TNG
>and an Atari ST commercial came up.  It was comparing the ST to the Mac SE
>and the IBM PS/50. ...
>
>My question is this.  Is this a new commercial?  Is Atari finally going
>to poke it's head into the USA market? I have my doubts but I'm (sigh)
>always hopeful.

From your "return address", it appears that you may have seen the cable feed
from WKBD Channel 50 in Detroit...  if so, this commercial was paid in full
by the Michigan Atari Computer Enthusiasts (MACE) user group to publicize
the Atari Show coming up next week..  Atari didn't pay a nickle for the
publicity they received from this ad...

So...  don't take this as any indication of what Atari itself is doing..
(unless it can get other usergroups around the country to pay for its
advertising...)

BobR