[comp.sys.atari.st] Benchmarks of Accelerator boards?

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (05/01/89)

Now that you can supposedly actually buy two different 16 mhz acccelerator
boards for the ST, does anyone on the net own either? I'm sure everyone
here would like to see some benchmarks...

------
Greg Lindahl                |
gl8f@virginia.{edu,bitnet}  |   Veraj Programistoj ne uzas PASCAL-on

cs163afu@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Some call me...Tim) (05/02/89)

In article <1431@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>Now that you can supposedly actually buy two different 16 mhz acccelerator
>boards for the ST, does anyone on the net own either? I'm sure everyone
>here would like to see some benchmarks...

The boards were both benchmarked at the Anaheim Atari fair, and I'm
told that the results were that the JRI board beat the Turbo16 in
all but one category (which I think was CPU read time--something to
that effect.  Dan?) ...the JRI board (according to the benchmark)
"doubled" the DMA port speed, in fact!  I am suspect about this, but
if it's true, that is good news for people with fast hard drives...

One thing, though:  Both turbo boards require the unsoldering and
removal of the 68000 processor.  Not a user installable expansion.

And one thing about the JRI color board:  it is NOT usable with the
JRI Genlock--both require the Shifter slot.  (The color board is the
one that people have been talking about that gives you 4096 colors)

I have JRI's address, but not here--I'll post it as soon as I can.

Tim Mensch
Internet: tmensch@ucsd.edu