[comp.sys.atari.st] 2-pass DEGAS printout program?

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (TerrellE) (04/04/89)

EPSON printers (and clones) have a two pass letter quality mode.  Each line
is printed twice, with the second pass deliberately off-center.  This
results in printouts that are more attractive than they would have been
with only a single pass.

However, my copy of DEGAS only does one pass.  So is there a program around
that will print DEGAS high-res (.pi3) files on an EPSON clone using the
2-pass mode?

Do graphics printed in this fashion really look better?  I know that text
does!

If this program is not available, I'll write my own.  Let me know if you
want a copy...

Thanks,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (04/08/89)

Eric Terrell asks about a "multi-pass" DEGAS file printer program..

There is a program called  DENSITY.PRG   which does a high-density
printout from DEGAS .PI3 pictures on either a monochrome OR color system.
It uses only one pin of the printhead, and advances the paper only 2/3 of
a dot per pass, resulting in an extremely high resolution printout, although
at the cost of an incredible amount of time per picture.

This is an older ST program, from about three years ago, and should be
available from most of the usual sources of PD programs.

BobR

c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (04/10/89)

In article <16853@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Eric Terrell asks about a "multi-pass" DEGAS file printer program..
>
>It uses only one pin of the printhead, and advances the paper only 2/3 of
>
>BobR

Please, DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM!  DENSITY.PRG will almost certainly destroy
your printhead.  There must be a better way, like using all 8 pins, pushing
the paper 2/3 a dot, and making another pass.  Each pin will do 1/8 of the
work.

  ( (        John Kawakami            ) )   Death by co-opt
   ) )   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu   ( (
  ( (                                 ) )

jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (04/12/89)

In article <22854@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, c60c-3ds@web-1b.berkeley.edu
(John Kawakami) writes:
> In article <16853@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> >Eric Terrell asks about a "multi-pass" DEGAS file printer program..
> >
> >It uses only one pin of the printhead, and advances the paper only 2/3 of
> >
> >BobR
>
> Please, DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM!  DENSITY.PRG will almost certainly destroy
> your printhead.  There must be a better way, like using all 8 pins, pushing
> the paper 2/3 a dot, and making another pass.  Each pin will do 1/8 of the
> work.

Over a year ago I wrote a program which substantially does this task, and I
uploaded it to one of the archives (sorry, I forget which). What it does is to
print a Degas file (monochrome only) on an Epson-compatible 9-pin printer,
using all NINE pins. Because the pin spacing is 1/72 inch, the printing is done
sideways, which is the only way it fits an 8.5x11 sheet. The result is much
better than Atari's partial printout of a distorted screen (ie, X and Y scales
are different using plain alt-help, and the right hand side of the screen is
missed completely).

I haven't used the program for a while, though, because I got a 24-pin printer
and rewrote the program for it. That baby will print a screen horizontally
either in 1x scale (1 dot = 1 pixel) or 2x (2 dots = 1 pixel). The 1x printout
is only 3.5 inches wide. This program still needs a little work before going
public.

						John Purbrick
						jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (04/15/89)

Commenting about a high density DEGAS printer program, John Kawakami
says:
>Please, DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM!  DENSITY.PRG will almost certainly destroy
>your printhead.  There must be a better way, like using all 8 pins, pushing
>the paper 2/3 a dot, and making another pass.  Each pin will do 1/8 of the
>work.

Actually, DENSITY.PRG allows you to select which pin is used to make the
printout, and the Help File instructs you to rotate the pin used for each
printout done...   assuming you did 8 pictures and selected a different pin
each time, each pin would end up doing the same amount of work as if all 8
were used..

Of course, it's up to the user to remember to change pins, and the real
problem would arise when you only wanted to make one printout and didn't
bother to change pins before doing it..

On the other hand, the program works well, and is available now...

BobR

john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/02/89)

[Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes...]

> Actually, DENSITY.PRG allows you to select which pin is used to make the
> printout, and the Help File instructs you to rotate the pin used for each
> printout done...   assuming you did 8 pictures and selected a different pin
> each time, each pin would end up doing the same amount of work as if all 8
> were used..

  All this really doesn't matter...  Using a single pin to print
something as large as a screen dump means that that single pin is going
to have to do lots and lots of work.  It will heat up (while the rest of
the pins won't) which will cause heat stress which will further weaken
the print head.

  If it used all the pins, the print head would warm up fairly evenly,
and when it was done, each would have only done 1/8th the work and now be
given a chance to cool off to be ready for the next time.  The typical
print head isn't designed to be able to hit the paper every dot or every
other dot for long periods of time.  They hit maybe 5-10 dots and then
they get 5-10 dots to rest before they get to the next character.  They
really aren't designed to be used for screen dumps.

> Of course, it's up to the user to remember to change pins, and the real
> problem would arise when you only wanted to make one printout and didn't
> bother to change pins before doing it..

  To quote a message I reciently saw in comp.sys.ibm.pc, this is a "bogus
design".  If something's a "good idea", simple, and critical to using the
program without damaging parts of the system, the program should do this
for you.

> On the other hand, the program works well, and is available now...

  Works "well" in whose definition?  I don't consider a program that has
the potential to prematurely age my printer and takes 5+ times as long to
print a screen than a program that was written properly (my definition:
used all 8 or 9 pins on the printer...) as "working well".

  So what if it's "available now"?  So are cigarettes, but I don't use
them either (for similar reasons)...  ;^)

> BobR

	... John STanley

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>