[comp.sys.atari.st] Timeworks DTP and DTP in general

D.Tilley@MVS.ULCC.AC.UK ("David Tilley, +44 1 405 8400, x500", 0) (05/01/89)

Ron Abramson writes:
> I'm beginning to wonder if I should try Fleet Street or Timeworks.  It
> sounds like PageStream is worse than PP for bugs.  What should I do?

Buy Timeworks DTP v 1.12.  It has never crashed while I've been using it.  I
should add that I write PostScript files to hard disc and Kermit these to our
Apple LaserWriter or Linotronic 300 typesetter at work.

Re my comments dated 12 Feb '89 on Timeworks DTP in Vol. 89, issue 47:

I withdraw my criticism on the inconsistent appearance of the corners of
round-cornered boxes.  In subsequent use, these are fine.

Also, a new manual is in preparation.

My other criticisms stand.

Mark Storin writes (I paraphrase):
> Kern two dashes together to produce an em-dash.

This is unsatisfactory.  Ventura Publisher provides this with Control/-, I
think.  A later version of Timeworks DTP should provide a similar facility,
although both Control/- and Alternate/- already have other functions.  Perhaps
two consecutive hyphens should be converted to em-dashes automatically.

Neil Forsyth writes (I paraphrase again):
> Timeworks can't write a PostScript file to floppy disc if it's run from
> floppy.

Serious desk-top publishers need a hard disc.

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (05/02/89)

In article <A03D4073E5DBB800@UK.AC.ULCC.MVS> D.Tilley%MVS.ULCC.AC.UK@Forsythe.
Stanford.EDU writes:
That I write
>> Timeworks can't write a PostScript file to floppy disc if it's run from
>> floppy.
>
>Serious desk-top publishers need a hard disc.

Sez who!

A friend of mine, at the other end of the country, would like to produce her
own small magazine and can't afford a lot.

An entry level system would be a 1040, a mono monitor and 24 pin dot-matrix
printer. You can produce Postscript files and take them to a bureau for the
final print.

If your going to say that all serious people need hard discs then why not go
the whole way and say we should all need our own laser printers too!

I have a hard disc. Because of this I can take Postscript files in to work and
print them on our laser printer. Non hard disc owners are stuck!

Timeworks is low priced compared to IBM and Apple packages. ST hard drives
however are not.

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !