[comp.sys.atari.st] Request for GEM to Postscript

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (04/20/89)

In  <534@dutent8.UUCP>, cacd@dutent8.UUCP writes:

> I am preparing a manuscript in which I would like to
> include laser printer hardcopies of existing GEMDRAW figures.
> Therefore I am desperately seeking for a GEM-file to Postscript
> converter program. [...]

If I were doing this on a PC, I would install GEM for a
Postscript printer and then send the printer output to a file.
And that should do it.

I don't have GemDraw for the ST, so I don't know if it can drive
Postscript printers. If it can, you should be able to do the same
thing. If it doesn't have the facility to print to a file maybe
you could use Moshe Braner's Barrel utility to catch the printer
output.

Hope this helps.
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel: +44 273 678390   Fax: +44 273 678335  JANET: leilabd@uk.ac.sussex.syma

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/26/89)

In article <534@dutent8.UUCP> cacd@dutent8.UUCP writes:
|  Therefore I am desperately seeking for a GEM-file to Postscript
|  converter program. I heard rumors that a 'gem2ps' does exist.

I have `mfps' for Meta-File to PostScript, which generates reasonable
PostScript documents.  The only problem is
	What-You-See-is-NOT-exactly-What-You-Get!
GEM fonts are NOT PostScript fonts!  Text on the printer is not spaced
as it is on the screen, but it's doable.  Either get PostScript font
metric files for GEM, or vice-versa.

If I remember correctly, mfps is a European product, Germany I
believe.  And also it was posted some time ago (before I received
news).  Maybe, somebody has saved the posted version; mines' slightly
older.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (05/02/89)

dutent8!cacd asked about the availability of Metafile-to-postscript
conversion program. I was unable to answer directly (mail bounced) so
here it is:

There is a PD utility called mfps that convert most of the GEM
metafiles into Postscript. Works well, although a big buggy.
Available on GEnie (at least).

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

  * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
  *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
  *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *