[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard drive synchronization with the ST

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (04/27/89)

    A couple of years ago, I build a hard drive sequencer for a few locals
in Dallas and Houston which allowed the ST to power up automatically when
hooked up to a hard drive.
    For BBS operators, this addressed a special problem:  when a power
failure occured during the day when the SysOp was away at work, the
sequencer would allow the system to come back up, hard drive and all. Normally,
when a hard driven ST is powered up, the user has to power up the hard drive
first, allow it to build to speed, and then power up the ST.  With the
sequencer, that is not necessary, it does that for you and is totally
external.  The user merely plugs the power cord for the hard drive and for
the computer into the sequencer's special power outlets.
    Ok, all of that intro was necessary for the following questions.  I'm
getting requests to build this thing again and am wondering if TOS 1.4
is a bit more 'intelligent' in that it detects a hard drive during power
up, thus delaying the startup sequence of the CPU until the hard drive is
up to speed.
    If TOS 1.4 does indeed include the hard drive sequencer via data line
detection (or sumptin') then I'll back off the project.  To be frank, I
burned myself out on the sequencer last summer after building nearly 300
of the things and need to know before I save up funds to build enough
capital to get parts and all of that.
    Thanks for any info, folks!

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (04/29/89)

In article <890427.09095442.063770@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET
(Z4648252) writes:
> wondering if TOS 1.4 ... detects a hard drive during power up

Nope.

Might be a good idea, but how long do you wait? If the computer and the
drive both power up at the same time, the hard drive may not reset
properly.  Some drives need to be allowed to do the whole power-up
sequence before they can take any commands or data, even just
request-sense (status) commands.

On the other hand, some don't.  If you put AHDI.PRG in the \AUTO\ folder
of a floppy, and put another program BEFORE that in the AUTO folder
which delays by 30 seconds (or whatever it takes), you could be in
business without any sequencer.  The ROMs will look for a hard disk, not
find one, and boot off the floppy.  By the time the delay has elapsed
and AHDI loads, the drive is ready.  Give that a try.

It might not work.  Warranty void if terms are violated.  Your mileage
may vary.  You may have some other rights which vary from state to state.

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (04/30/89)

But my HD requires another boot to get it to register.
If it's off and then powered up it will not autoboot. I have to keep a floppy
 with REBOOT.ACC to to another boot.
I have a Micropolis 1355 ESDI HD runnin' via an ICD host adapter.
Is this normal?

Ed June

In article <17759@cup.portal.com> BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:
>But my HD requires another boot to get it to register.
>If it's off and then powered up it will not autoboot. I have to keep a floppy
> with REBOOT.ACC to to another boot.
>I have a Micropolis 1355 ESDI HD runnin' via an ICD host adapter.
>Is this normal?
>
>Ed June

My Quantum-80 on a Supra adapter also does this. I have no idea why, I'm fairly
certain that it's a recent development, i.e., it didn't happen when I first got
the drive installed and running. Of course, I used to have two drives attached,
and now only have 1. Perhaps an improper termination somewhere?
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/02/89)

Some people have mentioned that their non-Atari hard disks don't always
auto-boot.  Something came to my attention recently, and this might be
part of the explanation:

The boot sequence on the ST starts with a "move.w #$2700,sr" instruction
(to ensure IPL 7) and then "reset" to reset external devices.
Unfortunately, the "reset" instruction does not pull down reset as long
as the SCSI spec requires.  Furthermore, the time between letting go of
the reset button and the time the "reset" instruction gets executed is
too short -- that is, you get "reset" (the button is down), then "not
reset" (the instructions are executing), then "reset" (the reset
instruction), and the "not reset" time is shorter than the SCSI
minimum-time-between-resets specification.

A host adapter to a true, picky SCSI device would have to lengthen any
reset it gets to the minimum SCSI length, and possibly remove the brief
"glitch" it sees while the two instructions are executing.

Atari hard disks can take it (or the host adapter is doing the fiddling)
because, of course, they work.  I regret (retroactively) that this
timing problem exists.  The fact that the reset instruction is too short
isn't really our fault: it grounds "reset" for 124 clocks in the 68000,
512 clocks on the 68020 and 68030 (but remember, clocks are likely to be
shorter).  However, the too-short time between resets *is* under
software control.

coffey@ucselx.uucp (pat coffey) (05/05/89)

In article <1470@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>Some people have mentioned that their non-Atari hard disks don't always
>auto-boot.  Something came to my attention recently, and this might be
>part of the explanation:
 ... stuff deleted about booting from the hard disk.
I have a related question.  I have both a 520 and 1040 ST.  The 520 has
a 1 meg upgrade and a Supra 20 meg hard disk attached.  Sometimes, when
I push the reset button, it boots several times.  The screen goes blank,
and the booting starts again.  Sometimes this also happens with my
1040 with no hard disk attached.  I've never experienced it when I
turn on the machine for the first time.  Any suggestions?

     _   _        Ms. Pat Coffey
    |_) (_        San Diego State University