[comp.sys.atari.st] Scanning/digitizing on the ST

romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) (05/03/89)

What options are available re: scanning images and touching
them up on the ST.  A friend of mine is looking for the ST to
do image manipulation.  Is there a way of digitizing colour
images and manipulate them as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, does anyone know of an ftp site where I can find STadel?
If so, what filename can it be found under?  Thanks.

advTHANKSvance

Pavneet Arora
...!utgpu!rom!pavneet

Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6
(416) 586-5626

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (05/05/89)

In article <1989May3.102251.6911@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:

>What options are available re: scanning images and touching
>them up on the ST.  A friend of mine is looking for the ST to
>do image manipulation.  Is there a way of digitizing colour
>images and manipulate them as well?

I have Color Computereyes.  Color Computereyes, by itself, can
digitize a color composite video signal and save it as a Degas,
Neochrome or raw data image.  Since no tools that I know of can
process the raw data image, we can ignore that.  Any number of drawing
programs for the ST can read Degas and Neochrome images, so you can
use any of them to "touch up" Computereyes images.

If you purchase Digispec in addition to Color Computereyes, you can
have your digitized images rendered as Spectrum (512 colors per
picture, 48 colors per line) images.  If you also purchase the
Spectrum 512 program from Antic Publishing, you can touch up your 512
color Spectrum digitized pictures.

From personal experience let me say that Color Computereyes + Digispec
+ Spectrum 512 is a powerful combination.

In fairness, I should point out that there are other digitizers for
the ST which may have advantages over Computereyes, but since I don't
have them I can't really comment on them.

And, lastly, let me state that I have no financial stake in either the
makers of Computereyes, Trio Engineering (makers of Digispec), nor
Antic Publishing (publishers of Spectrum 512).

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.