[comp.sys.atari.st] the Atari TT

roman@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Roman Baker) (05/06/89)

I have read a few things about the Atari TT computer that is due in the
near(?) future, but I have heard almost nothing about what it will do.
Basically, I am intersted in whether or not it will be ST compatible.  This
seems like a dumb question (it would be dumb for Atari NOT to make it so)
but I need to hear it from somebody.  Any estimates on the price of such
a machine and it's base configuration (Memory and so on.)  Thanks
for any help.

	   Roman Baker
	   roman@jupiter.ucsc.edu

jvance@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Joachim Vance) (05/07/89)

Here's what Atari says about the TT in their 1988 Annual Report (I just got
it):

  "Atari TT.  The 68030 based Atari TT will be the newest member of our
  flagship line.  In addition to running existing ST software, the TT
  can also run the industry standard Unix operating system with the
  X-Windows graphical user interface.  This powerful computer features
  stereo sampled sound and six video resolutions, up to 1280 x 960
  (monochrome) and 640 x 480 (color), from a palette of over 256,000 colors.
  The TT will be able to interface with the outside world through industry
  standard SCSI, VME, MIDI and RS232 ports.  Local Area Networking (LAN)
  comes standard on the TT system and Ethernet will be available to
  further enhance this product."

I know this answered some questions for me but left more new ones unanswered.

  Joachim Vance
  jvance@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (05/09/89)

In article <13508@paris.ics.uci.edu> jvance@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Joachim Vance) writes:
>Here's what Atari says about the TT in their 1988 Annual Report (just got it):
>  "Atari TT....
>  The TT will be able to interface with the outside world through industry
>  standard SCSI, VME, MIDI and RS232 ports.

Let's hope the SCSI isn't yet-another-non-standard-standard-SCSI...
(at last report this "standard" definitely wasn't).

Sounds like in general, though, they're moving towards standard
interfaces for as many things as they possibly can.  Probably a very
good idea.

> Local Area Networking (LAN)
>  comes standard on the TT system and Ethernet will be available to
>  further enhance this product."
>I know this answered some questions for me but left more new ones unanswered.

Yes, it does leave some things open, doesn't it?
What I'm wondering is, what kind of LAN support it comes with out of the
box, if Ethernet is an option?
Maybe (unfounded speculation) it's Appletalk, and we can get
that last little limitation of the Spectre dealt with once and for
all... ;)

-Antonio Romero       romero@confidence.princeton.edu