[comp.sys.atari.st] sloppy Intel chips

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (05/09/89)

In message dated 6 May 89 19:24:39 GMT, I.R. Gumby writes:
>In article <103@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU>, cs163afu@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Some call me...Tim)
> writes:
>
>> The initial release of the IBM PC AT contained a 6Mhz 8086
>> processor.  It was only later that they upgraded to 8Mhz and still
>> later the 286 processor.
> I hate to break this to you, but Intel only manufactures 8086/8088
>chips in the following clock speeds; 4.77, 8, and 10.  There was
>never a 6 MHz 8086 or 8088.  The Intel 80286 chips are available in
>these clock speeds; 6, 8, 10, and 12 (from a company that does
>subcontracting work for Intel, but these are not really Intel
>chips).  Harris makes 16 and 20 MHz 286's.

I'm sorry, but Tim is right: The original IBM PC-AT was delivered with
a 6-MHz crystal clocking an 8086 chip (and THAT's the standard, folks,
80286 AT Klones are an EXTENSION of the IBM specs), although
the schematics specified 8 Mhz. I know it, I developed some
hard and soft on this sorry piece of junk. My AT spent most of its time
with open guts (i.e., outer case removed), so I'm pretty sure of what was
inside (including Inmos RAM chips, expensive at that time.)
I never heard the real reason of this clock limitation. Some said that
the Intel chips were so bad that a significant percentage of the
8-MHz 8086 were not reliable at this clock speed, so IBM had to decrease
the crystal frequency at the last minute. But I'll be interested in
getting the straight dope if somebody believes he's got The Real Story.
Now, this story seems to be confirmed by the following fact: originally,
IBm planned to use the Intel 8765 floppy disk drive controller, but this
chip was released with a bug (mentioned as an unconspicuous footnote in
the data sheet of said chip.) So IBM used the NEC 765 instead (a compatible
controller.)

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

  * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
  *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
  *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...