[comp.sys.atari.st] What does ST stand for?

sohrt@wasatch.utah.edu (Wolfgang Sohrt) (04/22/89)

After discussing the meaning of "Atari", what does "ST" stand for?
Space Technology? Semi-Terrific? Super Trash? Sanct Tramiel?  8->

Please mail answers to sohrt@cs.utah.edu. I'll post the most interesting
replys (and, maybe, the one and only correct meaning).

--------------------------------------
Wolfgang Sohrt
(The stuff above is my own ideas.)
--------------------------------------
Einstein's hint:
He who drives fast doesn't get old.   (Seen on German car sticker)

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (04/23/89)

Sixteen Thirtythree.

      Kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
UUCP: kloppen@gmdzi

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (04/23/89)

From article <1037@gmdzi.UUCP>, by kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg):

> Sixteen Thirtythree.

Excuse me please - I wanted to write

   Sixteen Thirtytwo

      Kloppenburg@kmx.gmd.dbp.de
UUCP: kloppen@gmdzi

USQB015@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Mark Powell) (04/23/89)

ST stands for
              Sixteen - Thirty two

The architecture of the ST's processor. Sixteen bit external, Thirty two
bit internal. i.e. can process thirty two bit numbers directly, but can
only access sixteen bits of memory at once.
Atari's new computer (?) is called a TT i.e.

              Thirty two - Thirty two

This can handle thirty two bit numbers directly and also access thirty two
bit portions of memory directly.

                            Mark Powell

ARPANet : Forgotten this one again!!!
JANET   : usqb015@uk.ac.liv.ibm
USENET  : mcvax!ukc!ibm.liv.ac.uk!usqb015

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (04/25/89)

Okay, now that we know what ST and TT stand for, anyone know what the XE
and the XL of the 8-bit Atari machines stands for?  How about the XF and
the XM of the new XF551 disk drive and the XM301 modem???

'Till later,
  ___________________
 /__ \/ /  / / / /\
___/ / /__ \/ / /-/
               JUMAGA

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!sylvia.jumaga

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (04/25/89)

And I thought it stood for Sam Tramiel.....
--hal

In article <1635@wasatch.utah.edu> (Wolfgang Sohrt) writes:
>After discussing the meaning of "Atari", what does "ST" stand for?
>Space Technology? Semi-Terrific? Super Trash? Sanct Tramiel?  8->

Well if "TT" stands for ThirtyTwo (as in 32 bit processor) then ST
must stand for SixTeen (as in 16 bit processor). XE stood for _Eight
and XL stood for _Last.

Oh, and the question about "will the TT have a PMMU?" Assuming they
really do use the 68030 (and everyone at Atari has always said they
would) They get the PMMU for free, just like 80386 users.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

bbourbin@umd5.umd.edu (Brett Bourbin) (04/26/89)

In article <101079@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <1635@wasatch.utah.edu> (Wolfgang Sohrt) writes:
>>After discussing the meaning of "Atari", what does "ST" stand for?
>>Space Technology? Semi-Terrific? Super Trash? Sanct Tramiel?  8->
>
>Well if "TT" stands for ThirtyTwo (as in 32 bit processor) then ST
>must stand for SixTeen (as in 16 bit processor). XE stood for _Eight
>and XL stood for _Last.

	My understanding was that "ST" stood for "Sixteen-Thirty Two",
as the 68000 is a sixteen bit processor with 32 bit data and address
registers.

	Well, my $.02.   8^)

siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) (04/26/89)

In article <4760@umd5.umd.edu> bbourbin@umd5.umd.edu (Brett Bourbin) writes:
>	My understanding was that "ST" stood for "Sixteen-Thirty Two",
>as the 68000 is a sixteen bit processor with 32 bit data and address
>registers.

Amazing, the National 32016 was called 16016 before they upgraded the
bus width. Could this have anything to do with the ST?
Maybe Atari first planned to build the ST around that chip?

	Siebren van der Zee, siebren@cwi.nl

fjmora@CS.WM.EDU (Fredric Mora) (05/09/89)

In message dated 26 Apr 89 11:06:25 GMT, Siebren van der Zee writes:
>Amazing, the National 32016 was called 16016 before they upgraded the
>bus width. Could this have anything to do with the ST?
>Maybe Atari first planned to build the ST around that chip?
>
>   Siebren van der Zee, siebren@cwi.nl
I doubt that there is a relationship, but the ST engineering team actually
considered for a while to build the ST around a NS chip, probably a 16016.
It was mentined in an old interview published (I think) in ST-Magazine.

Regards,

     Frederic Mora                              GEnie:
     The College of William and Mary            F.MORA
     Dept. of Computer Science                  INTERNET:
     Williamsburg, VA. 23185                    fjmora@cs.wm.edu
     USA

  * "Was uns nicht toetet, macht uns staerker."                            *
  *                                              Friedrich Nietzsche       *
  *  What does not kill us makes us stronger                               *

- Come, come, little line eater, I won't harm you (evil grin)...