[comp.sys.atari.st] DeskJet questions.

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (03/27/89)

I am seriously considering buying an HP deskjet and would like to know a
few things.

Will it handle a screen dump triggered by ALT-HELP?

How fast does it print standard ascii (meaning, if I had written a
                        basic program that sent data to the printer,
                              how fast would it print)?

I would like to hear any complaints that you might have about the
printer (I only know its good sides, not its bad).

Thanks in advance.

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

"Hypnotism; the programming language for people."

mikeh@hplsla.HP.COM (Mike Hall) (04/04/89)

>I am seriously considering buying an HP deskjet and would like to know a
>few things.
>
>Will it handle a screen dump triggered by ALT-HELP?

  If you buy the Epson emulation cartridge it should work, but I don't
  think that it would work without the cartridge (DeskJet's native language
  is PCL).  I don't know if the ALT-HELP can have a special printer driver
  associated with it.

>How fast does it print standard ascii (meaning, if I had written a
>                        basic program that sent data to the printer,
>                              how fast would it print)?

  It prints at 240 cps in draft mode (every other dot),
  and 120 cps in letter quality mode.

  The only problem that I have noticed is that the ink is water soluble,
  so don't get your listings wet.  In "normal" use (for me), the ink
  cartridges seem to last about 6 months.

                                       /
                           _  _    *  / _   _
                          / \/ \  /  /_/   /_\
 ________________________/  /  /_/\_/  \__/\__________________________________
| Michael L. Hall                                                             |
| Hewlett-Packard Co.                                                         |
| Lake Stevens Instrument Division                                            |
| 8600 Soper Hill Road                    uucp: hplabs!hplsla!mikeh           |
| Everett, WA  98205-1298               domain: mikeh%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com    |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

pv9y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (04/27/89)

Couple of questions about the Deskjet+

Will the speed increase be noticeable with the Macintosh since the Mac
prints through the serial port?

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of paper which works well with the
DeskJet?  I tried and like a sample of Hammermill LaserPrint 24, but I
haven't seen it in stores around here (course I have haven't looked too
hard, but ...)

Is there any possibility of the DeskJet ever printing in color?  It seems
that new drivers for various computers would be needed for it to print
one color, pause, prompt for the user to put in a different color cartridge,
and print the next color, but that doesn't seem out of the question as far
as difficulty goes (for me anyway, not knowing better).

Thanks a lot!

Adam Engst

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (04/28/89)

Around here in DeskJet land we use Western Paper Company's "COPYMATE
High Speed RED LABEL" copy paper both for our copy machines and our hundreds
of DeskJet family printers.  I have also seen good results on Xerographic
paper and Benchmark paper.  When I was at NCGA last week we used James River
Company "Laser Bond" paper which gave excellent quality but I assume it
is more costly than the "COPYMATE" paper.  I have also seen good results
on Copysource paper.  Be sure to print on the "right side" of the paper
if there is one.  Many copy papers have an error saying "PRINT SIDE UP"
on the edge of the paper but for the DeskJet you want this side DOWN on
the paper tray so when it is picked up the "right side" will be printed
on.

As for serial printing.  The DeskJet was not even close to being IO
limitted at 19.2 K Baud.  The DeskJet+ is totally IO bound at 19.2 K
Baud (when printing graphics of course).  Using Mode 2 compaction it is
very common to compress a page of 300 DPI graphics into 150-200K bytes.
The DeskJet+ will do a page of graphics in at best 1.25 minutes due to
the way the print head moves across the paper.  Hence it is possible
to come close to 1.25 minutes per page using 19.2 K Baud serial port.
Some things, however, like scanned images do not compress as well and
in this case time per page will increase when using the serial port.
On the DeskJet+ the parallel port must be used to get maximum graphics
performance.  In fact when the parallel port is used it really does
not matter at all if data compression is used or not on the DeskJet+.
We still want drivers to use data compression of course because it makes
a big difference when printing to the DeskJet rather than the DeskJet+
and it makes a big difference when the serial port is used.

As for color, I don't think color ink in our DeskJet pens is a priority
item.  Requiring the user to manually change pens to get multiple color
output is not really a good solution.  The DeskJet+ is for high quality
flexible text output and high speed high resolution black and white
graphics.  If you need color graphics and your text needs are not as
strong we sell the PaintJet to meet this market.  Unfortunately we do
not offer a single printer that gives both color output and high
quality highly flexible plain paper text output.

Dave Neff
hpfcla!hpvcfs1!neff

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (04/28/89)

I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.

Yes, thats brand new.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (04/29/89)

In article <17682@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
>of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.

A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
was told that if you buy the Deskjet+ after May 1 you will receive a coupon for
a free font cartridge.  I think the free cartridge is an HP offer not specific
to Oregon Digital.

>Yes, thats brand new.

SD:  I have no connection to Oregon Digital (I've never purchased anything
from them so I can't even say, "except as a satisfied customer"), or to HP,
except as a satisfied customer (I've purchased a couple of their calculators).

Milt Sagen                    Internet: sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331          Tele: (503) 754-4631

koehn@cat59.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) (05/01/89)

In article <10272@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sagen@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) writes:

>A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
>I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
>was told that if you buy the Deskjet+ after May 1 you will receive a coupon for
>a free font cartridge.  I think the free cartridge is an HP offer not specific
>to Oregon Digital.

What is the difference between the deskjet and the deskjet+?  I want to buy
one, but I'd prefer to know if something much better is around.  Is the DJ+
compatible with the DJ drivers (I would assume so, but who knows)?

Thanks much,
Brad Koehn
"Fly like an Emu!"

ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) (05/02/89)

In article <2642@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@cat59.CS.WISC.EDU (Bradley Koehn) writes:
>In article <10272@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sagen@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) writes:
>>
>>A relatively unknown company (Oregon Digital) whose offices are next to where
>>I work have the new Deskjet+ for $720 and the old Deskjet for $520.  Also I
...etc...
>What is the difference between the deskjet and the deskjet+?  I want to buy
>one, but I'd prefer to know if something much better is around.  Is the DJ+
>compatible with the DJ drivers (I would assume so, but who knows)?
>
>Brad Koehn

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I'm curious to know what else one needs
to utilize the HP DJ printers. (I presume a hardware interface) Is it really
cheaper than a LW? (prices anyone?) How about compatibility? (what does one
forfeit?)

A brief look shows a laserprinter for a mac with a price in the $500 range!
(it's GOT to be too good to be true:^) Somebody bring me down to Earth, please.

If you would be so kind, email direct. If there's enough interest, I'll post
a summary.

Thanks,

Ron
  ron_b@apollo.com

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (05/03/89)

(Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>I might mention that I just saw a new all-time low price for the Deskjet
>of $517 - advertised by a well known company in Hartford CT.
>
>Yes, thats brand new.

That's not a big surprise. H-P lowered the list price on these machines to
$799 at the same time that they announced the DeskJet Plus, which sells for
$995. The Plus is considerably faster (with PCs- I've no idea if it's faster
with the Mac), and I would guess that as soon as they run out of the old
model they'll stopp selling them, but that's just a guess.

This is not to say that that's not a good price for a good printer.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (05/05/89)

>That's not a big surprise. H-P lowered the list price on these machines to
>$799 at the same time that they announced the DeskJet Plus, which sells for
>$995. The Plus is considerably faster (with PCs- I've no idea if it's faster
>with the Mac), and I would guess that as soon as they run out of the old
>model they'll stopp selling them, but that's just a guess.

The DeskJet was not reduced in price simply to sell off all existing printers.
We are still making DeskJet printers and there are no immediate plans to
discontinue the DeskJet.  The market will of course be the final judge
as to the reasonableness of selling both flavors of printer.

As for faster on the Mac, the DeskJet+ is up to 5 times faster than
a DeskJet when printing graphics data using the parallel port.  When
using the serial port at 19.2K baud the DeskJet+ (unlike the DeskJet)
is IO limitted which generally means it is 2 times faster for graphics than
the DeskJet (on a DeskJet 19.2K baud vs. 9.6K baud makes little difference).
Hence the IO port makes a BIG difference when using uncompressed 300DPI
data but when compression modes are used the 19.2K baud serial performance
can approach (but not generally attain) the parallel performance of a
DeskJet+.  On a DeskJet, 19.2K baud, 9.6K baud, and parallel IO were
of similar performance.  The DeskJet+ is still intended to primarily
be a printer connected to PCs using MS-DOS.  As for performance and
quality of 3rd party Mac drivers let the buyer beware.

Dave Neff
hpvcfs1!neff

jlong@afit-ab.arpa (Jeffrey K. Long) (05/10/89)

Can one buy and upgrade for a DeskJet to Deskjet???

|   Jeff Long              jlong@blackbird.afit.af.mil  (ARPA net)      |
|   humble (and getting humbler by the day) graduate student;           |
|   The Air Force Institute of Technology  (what a great way of life??) |