[comp.sys.atari.st] ST keyboard

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (05/11/89)

I have never had any trouble with the shape of the function keys (I
don't try to speed type with them!  :-) ) I really like the style of the
Function keys, and I feel that they are wide enough for anyone to easily
hit only ONE.

The only thing the ST keyboard needs is the following (it has a nice
number of keys) 1.  The keyboard needs to be more responsive.  Like the
Mac's keyboards, it is very, VERY springy.  As you push down on the
keys, they offer more and more resistance, and there is no way of
telling when the keys connect.  Luckily Atari put in the keyclick sound
which makes up for this by about 99% (the Mac really suffers by not
having a keyclick, and although you can install some sounds, they are
incompatible with may software).

2.  Although the keyboard has all the keys it needs, it needs two or
three more things.  It needs not only a caps lock, but also a shift
lock, and a number lock, and it needs an indicator (I figure an
indicator box which would have an indicator for all three selections
could go to the right of the F10 button, in a parrallelogram similar to
the one the name Atari is in).

I also really like the mouse (I have used many mouses mostly on Macs but
some on IBMs, and the ST mouse is by far the best (although the new Mac
II mouse is close)) except for the stiffness of the buttons.  Oh well,
we are being nit-picky, aren't we?  :-/

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

"Hypnotism; the programming language for people."

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (05/11/89)

In article <890511022108.349204@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM> Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM writes:

>The only thing the ST keyboard needs is the following (it has a nice
>number of keys) 1.  The keyboard needs to be more responsive.  Like the
>Mac's keyboards, it is very, VERY springy.

Keyboards are a matter of personal preference. I think Mac keyboards are
too springy, the Mega keys are just right, the 520/1040 keys are slightly
mushy, and KEYCLICK IS A COMMUNIST PLOT TO DRIVE ME INSANE. The most
important feature about keyclick is that it can be disabled. Thank God.

Your mileage may differ. But please don't go around saying "everybody
thinks the best keyboard ever made was the original IBM PC 'kchunck kchunck'
keyboard". You'll find that lots of people have a very different opinion.

------
Greg Lindahl       |  Welcome to Mars, Earthling. We Martians don't like
gl8f@virginia.edu  |  illegal aliens, so we'll just have to deport you.