[comp.sys.atari.st] question about Spectre GCR

zl04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary Shanes Levow) (04/24/89)

A couple of questions:
        1) does or to what extent does spectre
        handle AppleTalk?

        2) does it handle Mac  color?

        3) what does GCR stand for?

thanks-
Zach

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (04/26/89)

in article <UYIea1y00Uo1I-MkQa@andrew.cmu.edu>, zl04+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Zachary Shanes Levow) says:
> A couple of questions:
>         1) does or to what extent does spectre
>         handle AppleTalk?

	The Spectre 128(tm) and/or Spectre GCR(tm) does not support
AppleTalk(tm).  AppleTalk requires hardware that the ST does not have.
Several companies are considering developing AppleTalk interfaces for
the ST.  If/when an AppleTalk interface is available for the ST the
Spectre will be upgraded to support it.  (Of course some of the
companies have been talking about building AppleTalk interfaces for over
2 years so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.)

>         2) does it handle Mac  color?

	The Spectre 128 uses the 128K Mac(tm) OS ROMs.  The 128K ROMs do not
support color displays.  The only Macs with color support are the Mac II
and the Mac IIx which have 256K ROMs with color quickdraw.

>         3) what does GCR stand for?

	Group Code Recording, the data encoding method used by the Mac
for floppy disks.  The Spectre GCR adds the hardware and software the ST
needs to use GCR disks.  The ST normally uses MFM disks (Modified
Frequency Modulation).

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

elixir@m-net.UUCP (Rodney Fulk) (04/28/89)

hanes Levow) writes:
>A couple of questions:
>        1) does or to what extent does spectre
>        handle AppleTalk?
>
>        2) does it handle Mac  color?
>
>        3) what does GCR stand for?
>
>thanks-
>Zach

No it doesnt do any thing with apple talk..

No it is mono only...
(But it runs much faster all around than a mac se and with its 640x400
screen it is much bigger thjan a mac too..)

GCR apparently is the way the mac controler accesses its disks..
As you can probly guess this one can read mac disks directly..
(EVERYTHING about this is faster than a mac se though except for the sound..)

jpexg@hermes.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (04/29/89)

When Spectre GCR comes out I'm going to be seriously tempted.

But does it require a hard disk to run? It seems that everyone talks about
Spectre in terms of hard disk usage--and prices are still too high for me
to be greatly tempted by one.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (05/01/89)

With GCR reading Mac disks directly at 1:1 or faster Mac speed,
a hard drive will not be a necessity.  The reason a hard drive is often
mentioned is because Spectre reads the HD so fast that it results
in speeds that are truely amazing, and causes Spectre to run at
faster speeds than a stock Mac Plus or SE!

But by all means- get a HD as soon as possible - once you have
one you will never know how you lived without it and prices for
new 20 meggers is starting to flirt with the below $500 range and
good used ones can be had for far less.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (05/02/89)

In article <3995@druwy.ATT.COM> dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) writes:

>	The Spectre 128(tm) and/or Spectre GCR(tm) does not support
>AppleTalk(tm).  AppleTalk requires hardware that the ST does not have.
>Several companies are considering developing AppleTalk interfaces for
>the ST.  If/when an AppleTalk interface is available for the ST the
>Spectre will be upgraded to support it.  (Of course some of the
>companies have been talking about building AppleTalk interfaces for over
>2 years so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.)

On the other hand, there seems to be a very reasonable Ethernet interface
available in Germany. Now, how about killing lots of birds with one
piece of software. Write the drivers such that we could run Apple's
EtherTalk (or KIP if you prefer). Or maybe you would rather have one of
the Mac TCP/IP products. Or any of the related products, such as Oracle,
based (currently, I believe) on the Kinetics TCPort drivers?

Utopia is only a program away!
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (05/05/89)

>With GCR reading Mac disks directly at 1:1 or faster Mac speed,
>a hard drive will not be a necessity.  The reason a hard drive is often
>mentioned is because Spectre reads the HD so fast that it results
>in speeds that are truely amazing, and causes Spectre to run at
>faster speeds than a stock Mac Plus or SE!

NO! The Mac is unusable as a single drive system unless you load the
system/finder files into RAM disk. With fonts and desk accessories (that
become part of the system file) 1 MByte of system/finder is not uncommon.
Count on at least 350K for a bare bones config. With a Mega 2/4 set up a single
drive config with system/finder in RAM is OK but you can run into trouble on
a 1040ST (forget a 520ST). If you do not put system/finder in RAM, count on
ENDLESS disk swaps. And I MEAN ***ENDLESS* disk swaps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (05/11/89)

Peter Szymonik points out that with the new disk speeds of the Spectre
GCR, a hard disk is no longer a necessity.

Well, there is another consideration...  The Mac was designed with one
(actually more, but I think this is the largest) major flaw.  IT WAS NOT
MADE TO WORK WITHOUT A HARD DISK!!!  Sure, it will *work*; this is the
reason it doesn't work that well:

It takes one disk drive to hold your system (this is also very limited
by the memory restricions of a floppy--the systems are soo BIG).  It
takes another disk drive to hold your application, such as MacWrite.  If
you want to save your data on a seperate file disk, you will run into
the fun problem of constant disk swapping (the OS constantly changes
which disk it accesses) because the Mac only handles two disk drives, in
other workds, you have no room for your file disk.  The only solution is
to shrink your system even more by removing fonts and desk accessories,
and put MacWrite on your system disk, and then put your data disk in the
external drive.

Or you can solve all you problems by buying a hard disk.

Isn't it nice having your whole OS in ROM like on the ST....

Aric Friesen

Addresses:

Genie:  A.FRIESEN

ARPA:  Friesen%PCO@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

"Hypnotism; the programming language for people."

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (05/12/89)

I ran into a small hospital office where they were using a Mac
Plus with Word and File.  Imagine my horror (and humor) when I
discovered that this office of six people were using a Mac Plus
with NO external drive or hard drive!!  The salesperson just
never bothered to tell them how much easier life would be with
a hard drive or even just the external drive.  They thought the
** 42 ** disk swaps needed to boot the latest System and then the
Word program disk was normal!  $175 dollars later they now enjoy
an external drive and with a little more arm twisting I'll
still be able to wedge a hard drive in there!  :-]

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com