[comp.sys.atari.st] increased resolution on normal ST

clutx.clarkson.edu (AAron nAAs,,,2684025) (04/30/89)

From article <8904291649.AA04850@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by HOESEL@HGRRUG52.BITNET:
> in the german magazine 'ST magazine' dated 5/89 there is a discription of
> a extremely simple and low-cost (2 dollar) change discriped, that gives
> the atari a resolution of 840*568 points (on a normal atari monochrome
> monitor sm124/125)

DETAILS!!!!!

GIVE ME DETAILS!!!!

How can I get ahold of this artical??

AAron nAAs
opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu
naas17@snypotba.bitnet

HOESEL@HGRRUG52.BITNET (04/30/89)

in the german magazine 'ST magazine' dated 5/89 there is a discription of
a extremely simple and low-cost (2 dollar) change discriped, that gives
the atari a resolution of 840*568 points (on a normal atari monochrome
monitor sm124/125)
programs like 1st word plus, calamus or gfa basic 3.04 seem to run perfectly
using this increased graphics area.
Besides the hardware change (2 diodes, 2 resistors, 1 transistor,
1 capicitor, and one switch) the only thing needed is a small program to
tell GEM about the bigger area.
I didn't test it yet. I will not test it, until someone else can tell me
if uniterm will use this enlarged area if uniterm is in graphics mode.

frans van hoesel
univ. of groningen
the netherlands

jparker@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (James Parker) (04/30/89)

In article <2968@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu.UUCP writes:
>From article <8904291649.AA04850@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by HOESEL@HGRRUG52.BITNET:
>> in the german magazine 'ST magazine' dated 5/89 there is a discription of
>> a extremely simple and low-cost (2 dollar) change discriped, that gives
>> the atari a resolution of 840*568 points (on a normal atari monochrome
>> monitor sm124/125)
>
>DETAILS!!!!!
>
>GIVE ME DETAILS!!!!
>
>How can I get ahold of this artical??

I would also be very interested in hearing more about this...can somebody post
a summary to the net (or e-mail me) if they find out more about it.

sounds like a good deal to me.
James Parker

In article <8904291649.AA04850@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> HOESEL@HGRRUG52.BITNET writes:
%in the german magazine 'ST magazine' dated 5/89 there is a discription of
%a extremely simple and low-cost (2 dollar) change discriped, that gives
%the atari a resolution of 840*568 points (on a normal atari monochrome
%monitor sm124/125)
%programs like 1st word plus, calamus or gfa basic 3.04 seem to run perfectly
%using this increased graphics area.
%Besides the hardware change (2 diodes, 2 resistors, 1 transistor,
%1 capicitor, and one switch) the only thing needed is a small program to
%tell GEM about the bigger area.

That'd eat a bit more RAM up to, of course. Probably slows you down even more,
'cause ya get more HBLANKs to process, eh?

Sounds interesting though - how liberal is this magazine's reproduction
policy? Could this article be posted to the net in some form?
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

atoenne@laura.UUCP (Andreas Toenne) (05/03/89)

In article <4331@watvlsi.waterloo.edu> jparker@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (James Parker) writes:
>In article <2968@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu.UUCP writes:
>>From article <8904291649.AA04850@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by HOESEL@HGRRUG52.BITNET:
>>> in the german magazine 'ST magazine' dated 5/89 there is a discription of
>>> a extremely simple and low-cost (2 dollar) change discriped, that gives
>>> the atari a resolution of 840*568 points (on a normal atari monochrome
>>> monitor sm124/125)

FOLX!

HANDS OFF!!!!

I talked to several people who tried this patch. It involves some
soldering on your Atari board and new software.
However,

nobody could claim that this patch works. Obviously the software is
faulty and the hardware patch does not work properly.
It should expand the 'writing' time of the kathode-beam such that you
can write on the black borders around the screen. But you'll see the
beam when it runs back on the same space in monochrome mode.

	Andreas Toenne

P.S. I would like to have such a goodie too

lanzki@infoac.rmi.de (J}rgen Lanzki ) (05/06/89)

After 30 minutes of soldering, my computer had an increased resolution.
But this change only works with the DISK-VERSION of TOS 1.0
(dated 06-02-86).

Some programs accept the bigger screen, some don't. This also might be
a problem with memory space. The 'disk-TOS' takes about 200 kB.

Maybe there's an update in one of the next issues of the magazine...

greetings     --Juergen

Juergen Lanzki           RMI Net, Aachen, West-Germany

                UUCP:  lanzki@infoac.rmi.de

n62@nikhefh.hep.nl (Klamer Schutte) (05/12/89)

1 Does anybody know if it s possible to use this enlarged screen on a ST
under MINIX? (YES, I know i have to change the kernel -- buti don't
mind! ) Anybody having experience in it, please report!
2 Does this work with all ST hardware?
3 Can you switch it off to get a "normal" ST?

I will like a bigger working area -- can somebody help me with these
questions?
Klamer.
Klamer Schutte			mcvax!nikhefh!n62	      n62@nikhefh.hep.nl