[comp.sys.atari.st] It's that time again! Games!

kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly) (05/10/89)

Semester finally over, I can let my computer rest a bit, with a new game,
of course!

Please, one and all, tell me what is a great game for the ST.  Price is
no object.  I just need something to keep me busy while I'm not working,
and while I'm not taking classes, [stuck here for the summer session]
Anything!  So long as it's good.

Please mail replies, I'll summarize.

Thanks (outside of) advance!

--
kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'
kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu              `The wasting is ... the wasting!'

derrick@ritcsh.UUCP (Derrick Williams) (05/11/89)

>From: kelly@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean Kelly)

>Semester finally over, I can let my computer rest a bit, with a new game,
>of course!

>Please, one and all, tell me what is a great game for the ST.  Price is
>no object.  I just need something to keep me busy while I'm not working,
>and while I'm not taking classes, [stuck here for the summer session]
>Anything!  So long as it's good.

>kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'

 I'm not really into games (having played every game under the sun on the
Atari 800), but I believe that the absoulutest, bestest, game for your money
is Dungeon Master. This might seem redundant, since everyone but me has solved
it. It can be had for under $25, and it will last for a long time (don't expect
to solve it in a day). I've been playing Dm for close to a year (A few hours
a week), and I'm almost done. For the $28 I paid for it, it's a great
investment. I usually avoid arcade action-type games since $32 usually gets you
only two or three weeks of interest.
 Sometimes I'm not into solving puzzles or playing a complicated role, and
times like these I just want to blow things up. I found GoldRunner to be
pretty good (But might be hard to find, now it's so old).
 I'm planning to get a game myself, and I've heard reccomendations for
Falcon and Captain Blood. I'm planning on getting one of the two sometime
when I get home. For all the others out there, which one is more fun?
I would like a game which I can stop and continue later, or play for a few
hours at a time. Can a game of Falcon be completed in an hour or so, and can
Captain Blood be streched out as long as DM?

                                                       Thanks,

                                                           Derrick

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (05/12/89)

In article <3251@ritcsh.UUCP> derrick@ritcsh.UUCP (Derrick Williams) writes:
>I would like a game which I can stop and continue later, or play for a few
>hours at a time. Can a game of Falcon be completed in an hour or so, and can
>Captain Blood be streched out as long as DM?

Falcon is a great game, if you want a "no compromise" (i.e., _hard_) flight
simulator.  Game time is measured in seconds, though it increases to minutes
when you learn how to fly and fight :-)  I don't know if you can fly for an
hour, I never have, since after 10-20 minutes I'm out of either ammo, luck, or
altitude.

"Silent Service" (Microprose) remains a favorite of mine after several years
of owning it.  Its game time is usually under an hour.  Too bad Microprose
no longer seems interested in the ST market.
--

Bob Rogers                    rogers@stpaul.ncr.com  or  rogers@pnet51.cts.com
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN      GEnie: R.C.ROGERS