[comp.sys.atari.st] VOLUME name changing on discs

shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/05/89)

I would like to change the disc volume names of a large number of
discs.  I have a program which will do it, but it requires execution
from scratch for EACH disc.  Does anyone have a program which will
allows one to do the job more simply?  OR, does anyone know which
disc sector/track the volume name is located in?  OR, I could
write my own program (using ABSOFT fortran) is only I could find
a reference to the volume name; does anyone know what the required
routine is since I can't seem to find it.

If you have anything, please either post it, or send it via BITNET
or SPAN.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Shawl
BITNET:  shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
SPAN:  kuphsx::shawl

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (05/13/89)

In article <6665@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I would like to change the disc volume names of a large number of
>discs.

I have a copy of such such a program, done by Roland Waldi.
He posted it to the net some time ago, so it should be available
on many servers.  If you want it, write to me.

I wrote a little gulam shell that uses VOL to change the VOLUME
ID on many disks, numbering them consecutively.  Sort of dumb,
I guess, but I have things like LJD.101, LJD.102, and so on.
If you want it, write.

My only criticism of Mr. Waldi's find program is that I have to
press the RETURN key.  I think that he anticipated use from the
desk top, however I prefer use from the GULAM shell.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET