[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega-ST real time clock.

trevor@ean-relay.ac.UK (Trevor Peacock) (05/08/89)

Hello,
  Can anyone tell me how the internal clock is implemented in the Mega STs?
I understand that it has a battery backed clock, but if this is just a
circuit to keep the keyboard chip in sleep mode ( as all the internally
fitted clock kits i have come across are ) then the current drain would be
too much for batteries to maintain for more than 2-3 weeks.  The other type
of clock I have come across uses the cartridge port - I'm sure Atari would
not start putting things in that part of the memory map.  So, does the Mega
have a clock chip sitting tucked away in some remote part of the memory map,
or does it just have a car battery with jump leads to the keyboard chip?
Trev..    trevor@uk.ac.ean-relay

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/13/89)

In article <8905081315.AA24176@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> trevor@ean-relay.ac.UK (Trevor Peacock) writes:
>Hello,
>  Can anyone tell me how the internal clock is implemented in the Mega STs?

It's a simple clock chip sharing adresses with one TOS-Rom.

While reading/writing the clock, the Rom ist disabled.

There are Mega compatible clocks out for the 520/1040; they plug between
socket and Rom and connect to a battery pack.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my Ego, I want it caught and shot.