[comp.sys.atari.st] Where is Omega?

I0908@DKAFHS1.BITNET (05/14/89)

Date: 13 May 1989, 23:14:22 SET
From: Cornelius Caesar          BITNET / EARN:       I0908    at DKAFHS1
To:   info-atari16 at score.stanford.edu

(Just posted this to GAMES-L too, sorry for duplicates):

Has Omega already been ported to the Atari ST?
If so: Where is it?
If not: Who is working on that?

Cornelius

PS: Omega is an adventure game similar to Hack or Moria.

7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (05/14/89)

In article <8905132120.AA00816@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, I0908@DKAFHS1.BITNET writes:
> Has Omega already been ported to the Atari ST?
> If so: Where is it?
> If not: Who is working on that?
>
> Cornelius

I ported Omega, but wasn't satisfied with the results. I found that the version
I was porting (0.8, I think) was very buggy, and was very slow on the ST.
The port itself was trivial using the GCC 1.34 and the curses package from
terminator.cc.umich.edu. There are a lot of places in the code where it
is assumed that sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) == 4 (despite some apparent
attempts by the author to avoid this). Fixing these and compiling with
the -mshort option of the GCC would probably speed the game up to a
reasonable speed, but I'm not going to bother until a less buggy version
is available. It does look like it will be a good game when fixed.
--
Eric R. Smith                      email:
Dept. of Mathematics               7103_300@uwovax.uwo.ca