[comp.sys.atari.st] DVI to deskjet?

eckmann@aslan.ucsb.edu (Steve Eckmann) (05/11/89)

I am looking for a program to print DVI (TeX output) files on
an HP deskjet. Where can I find one, preferably PD?
Steve Eckmann        eckmann@cs.ucsb.edu       ...!ucbvax!ucsd!ucsbcsl!eckmann

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (05/14/89)

In article <1642@hub.ucsb.edu> eckmann@aslan.ucsb.edu (Steve Eckmann) writes:
>I am looking for a program to print DVI (TeX output) files on
>an HP deskjet. Where can I find one, preferably PD?

Nelson Beebe, the author of the dvi to xxx drivers at science.utah.edu, is
working on an brand new release of his drivers (release 3).  The new release
will include support for the DeskJet.  Currently he is beta testing with IBM
PC executables.  Once that settles down, he will beta test the source.  One
of the supported machines is the ST, so when all this is done, the ST will
have a wealth of dvi drivers, including one for the DeskJet.  The current
release (release 2) of drivers is available for anonymous ftp at
science.utah.edu under <tex.dvi>.  These drivers should be easy to convert to
the ST, if they aren't already set up for the ST.

The dvi to DeskJet driver does not use downloadable fonts like the dvi to
LaserJet plus driver does.  It uses graphics mode, with compaction mode 2 an
option.  When the testing is done, and the sources are available, I will post
to this group.  I will also post a dvi to DeskJet executable to the binaries
group.  NOTE: I HAVE NO IDEA WHEN THIS WILL BE!!!

BTW, these drivers are entirely in the public domain.  (As stated in the
documentation that comes with the drivers).

It may be possible to hack on one of the existing drivers like dvieps (dvi to
Epson), and get it to create bitmaps for the DeskJet.  I haven't a clue as to
how you might do this, however :-)
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton